October
2007
11:00 am

The only Family Guy stuff I’d ever seen was a Chuck Norris skit that fed into my own interests.  I knew a lot of people liked the show, but I’d never seen it myself.  Oh, and there was this one South Park episode that purported to have “solved” how the Family Guy comes up with it’s plot and flashbacks.  And the spoof they did.

family guy

But during a recent Garage Sale escapade (THANK YOU GOOGLE MAPS for the “add a destination” feature!!!!  It’s completely awesome and makes garage sale trips very cool while having a laptop in the car with a mobile internet card – that plus the “drag around your route” feature is awesome) I saw a semi-box set of the Family Guy – seasons 1 and 2 on 4 DVD’s.  For $4.  Total.

I snagged it and have gone through the first disk, episodes 1-7.  I must say, I’m hooked.  I laughed almost all the way through each episode.  It might even replace The Simpsons for me as far as regular must-watch TV.

Of course, I’ve only seen 1/2 of the 1st season, so I have a long way to go, and I have no idea what season they’re in now.  But at least I have plenty to watch and fill up the time!

Question: does the mom just hear gibberish when Stewie talks?  What’s up with that?  Seems the other characters hear what he says…

1. Hilly says:

I used to love this show but now cannot stand it. Don’t get me wrong, when first watching it, I was fascinated and thought Stewie was the best thing since baked bread. However, I can only take so much of Peter and his annoying booty. I do still love Stewie and Brian though…and I think only the dog and the kids can understand him?

They are wildly inconsistent as to how Stewie is understood by the rest of the family. I ultimately came to the conclusion that only Brian can understand and converse with Stewie directly… everybody else just hears “baby talk” or whatever. So while Stewie’s general intent might get through to Peter, Lois, etc., the actual words are only understood by Brian.

Hmmm… as I was moving on after my comment, I accidentally clicked on your xhtml 1.0 strict verification button and was taken to a page which said this page does not verify as such. Now, when I try to reproduce the problem, the link doesn’t refer the page? Odd.

Seasons 1 and 2 were awesome. The show deteriorated quickly afterwards.

5. Absurdist says:

Dave, you are right. The only person that understands Stewie is Brian.

I have been an avid fan of Family Guy since it’s inception. I signed the petition to get it back on the air. I am suprised, Wayne, that you haven’t watched it from the beginning. Love it.

By for now!

Hilly, by “booty” do you mean what he brings home, like a $150,000 weekly welfare check, or do you mean his derriere? Like I said, I’ve only watched 7 episodes so maybe it has a special meaning. Then again, I hardly know you so maybe it has a special meaning to you.

Dave2, Yeah, that’s what I came to also. It just seems that Lois really only hears gibberish, and the others might hear key words, and then Brian knows all. And with the XHTML thingy – I’ve actually been working on that this last week, wondering why my theme uses so much ‘invalid’ XHTML. But when I research further, I just get confused. Like it complains about centering a “p” tag, but that should be valid. I dunno, might be time for a new theme.

Avi, you said that on purpose, didn’t you, knowing that I only have the two seasons. Suck-egg mule! (wait, lemme think about it – maybe you’re just saving me money.)

Abs, You were one of the people telling me I should watch it. I fact, you saw season #4 come out recently and you said “Buy four now!”

Comment: