Slowly but surely drudging my way into fame by logging yet another in the weekly series.

Automattic acquires Gravatar

So far, I can’t see anything bad about this story.  I saw it over at A Feast of Crumbs first.  I love gravatar and it’ll be nice for things to be faster, cheaper (freeer!) and more open.  What’s not to like?  I love Akismet already (done by the same folks), so it’s all good!

Twittertated

Today marks my 2nd day trying out twitter. So far, it’s been addictive but I don’t know if I’ll continue. I liked it enough to put a banner in my sidebar, and load Twitterberry on my Blackberry. I see myself using it more as a reminder service and public journal more than group IM or whatever else it could be used as.

What’s another word for Irony?

I wanted to find another word for “Vague Statements” based on a comment response I was composing. Normally I use thesaurus.com or something, but I didn’t want to find another meaning just for a specific word, but an actual phrase.  So I google for “vague statements” and stumble upon a website at NC State University that seems designed to point out student’s flaws in writing, give examples, etc.

I think the title should be changed to “what is wrong with the way this web page was typed?”

what is wrong with the way these students write gramar grammar
Oh, the pain… the pain.

Sad News indeed

An acquaintance of mine commited suicide.  Words?  I have none.

Online poker company employee was cheating…

I’ve played a fair share of online poker (I play in spurts – couple weeks at a time, and then nothing for many many months) and have actually made money at it.  This story, however, is a little gut-wrenching…

This youtube video shows a replay of about 8 minutes of play by the employee, indicating there’s no way someone would play like this unless they could see the other people’s hands (ignore that you can see the hands during the replay – that’s how it normally is with the replay – what you’re looking for in the video is how the guy plays and the fact that he keeps winning.)

Drake the Pirate

Quick little 30 second video of halloween dress rehearsals – if you’ve never seen a fake voice-activated halloween pirate prop sing Wizard of Oz, this is your chance.

1. Hilly says:

I’m wondering how long this twitter thing will last for me. I usually get bored with these things after awhile, kinda like FaceBook. However maybe the text aspect will make me stick around a bit. Right now, I am obsessed, which is just not awesome 😉

2. Joefish says:

The thing that distresses me about the future of Gravatar lies with the leadership at Automattic. Matt Mullenweg might be a benevolent dictator, but he’s still a dictator.

I’ve tried to submit bug reports for an issue with Akismet, but each time I’ve been rebuffed. And usually somewhat rudely. This particular bug still remains unaddressed.

And the people at Automattic are mostly the same people who form the core development team for WordPress. Some of the decisions they make are completely mystifying. At least once, a change that set back the WP community and had a directly negative impact on the average user was made by Matt, without any discussion, for what was apparently personal reasons.

I’m concerned that Gravatar will become yet another vanity project for King Matt.

I’m sorry about your acquaintance. I can’t say I’ve never felt like it would be easier to end it all, but … I got out of that head space by knowing it would pass and that no one is better off by me taking my life. It’s too bad he didn’t know that secret. 🙁

4. Absurdist says:

You DO realize that is the first grammar issue in which you have caught me. You look for anything to exploit, because there is so very little on which to catch me… mwahahahahahhahaha.

The poker video was Greek to me.

Chelle, check out my blog to see a huge typo on Wayne’s part.

Hilly, I still haven’t tried facebook, and I created a myspace page once but have maybe logged into it twice. My addictions usually aren’t centered around the computer, which is maybe why Twitter will last a while. But so far it’s only been what, 3 days. I like the way it’s similar to a little personal recorder, like recording an idea – Michael Keaton in ‘Night Shift’ — (flick record ON) “Why not just feed the tuna mayo? Call Starkist” (flick record OFF)

Joefish, I’ve not been involved at all with those aspects of development, so all I can say from experience is my life is so much better with WordPress and Akismet than without them, and I’d harken to guess multitudes feel the same way. Gravatar is awesome also, so my logic is limited to “wordpress = good; akismet = good, so gravatar, run by the same people who did the first two things = probably good”. While I highly prefer a “Kingdom” vs a “dictatorship”, I don’t believe repression exists when membership is voluntary.

Poppy, thank you. I know of several people taking it harder than I because as I said, he was just an acquaintance – and a minor one at that. And it raises the easier-to-avoid-for-me internal debate of whether or not our taboo about suicide is helpful or harmful. I lean to the ‘helpful’ side because I think if it was “no big deal” more people would choose it. I think it’s the fact that it’s so bad that we ‘save’ so many people from it.

Absurdist, Yes, I definitely realize you have few grammar mistakes. The ones I do are typically typos from being impatient or bait that I unintentionally leave out for others to find.

Avitable, I call “typo negative” — it was a pun on words. I just didn’t realize it until you pointed it out, so it’s a retroactive typo negative.

That’s a very interesting way of looking at it. I will be thankful of this one taboo subject.

Devil’s advocate: People don’t feel like they can talk about their feelings of suicide because it is taboo. I know I felt that way in the past. I just kept it to myself and rode the wave to the other side. It sucked. But, I rode the wave to the other side. I now know I’ll get to that other side if I ever have the thoughts again. Most people feeling it for the first time have no hope of getting to the other side of the horribleness.

Sorry to go deeeeep in your comments. (And, please don’t worry about me. I am way far away in years and in mindset from the time when I felt this way.)

8. poker spil says: