Has anyone else noticed how many Penguin-themed movies there are for kids?

Happy Feet  march of the penguins  Surf's Up!  Madagascar

(ok, I admit Madagascar wasn’t BASED on penguins, but the penguins in the movie were a lot funnier than Ben Stiller as Alex the lion.  Maybe not funnier than Chris Rock as Marty the zebra, but still, the navigating conspiratorial mutinous penguins made that movie.)

So all these kids movies starring penguins.

Getting kids to love penguins.

All dem penguins.

Penguins.

Why the push?  I suspect a conspiracy.  I mean, Linux has the penguin as their mascot.  Maybe someone really wants to get back at Bill Gates and Microsoft for dominating the market with their operating system, and they feel that 15-20 years down the line (well, I guess 10 years now) the people making decisions about operating systems will subliminally choose a penguin over a windows logo.  Maybe someone is investing a LOT of money in supporting Linux and having an open source operating system would really help towards that goal, or with virtual machines.

Seriously, which would you choose?

Linux tux penguin        windows logo

Believe me, a good logo or a name means A LOT when people make decisions.  It’s not everything, but it’s important.  How many of you believe Dell wasn’t chosen at times because it was easy to say?  Only geeks could spell Compaq or Hewlett-Packard correctly, too many people laughed when they said “Wang” and although cows are cute, Gateway sounded too technical, like a router.  Like with IBM and Cisco, you “couldn’t get fired for buying a Dell” and it didn’t hurt that their prices were good, support was good, back end systems were good, yada yada.  Having a good product alone doesn’t mean the product is successful, as we saw with Betamax vs VHS.

Even in Toy Story, the penguin was portrayed as someone needing a hand, and when Woody got the penguin’s squeaker back, he could sing it up like no-one’s business, almost like “he just needed a chance…”

However, even further I suspect something way beyond an operating system choice.

Guess what the mascot is of the Libertarian Party?

Seriously, which would you choose?

elephant republican  donkey democrat  liberty penguin

I’d say this marks a major shift in our political climate over the next 20 years as penguin-indoctrinated people turn voting age.  We’ll also see how many more penguin-themed items, movies, songs or other pop-culture entities make their way into our collective memory.

Yeah, but think about how many movies have windows in them!!

I liked Chilly Willy when I was a kid… but REALLY grew to love penguins after Mr. Flibble debuted!

3. NYCWD says:

This is very accurate… except for Microsoft’s retaliatory measure.

Global warming and the greenhouse effect (all those windows dontcha know). It is their secret weapon to destroy the natural habitat of the Penguin to prove them obsolete.

And to make Nevada beachfront property when California sinks into the ocean.

Avi, I can’t think of one. Ok, I’m lying

Dave2, Ahh, chilly willy. I forgot to mention him, but really he wouldn’t have fit the conspiracy unless it goes REALLY deep and started a long time ago. Never heard of Mr. Flibble, but once I googled it it looked familiar.

NYCWD, maybe if everyone closed their windows at once, our air conditioners wouldn’t pump as much out into the air, and then the whole world would heat up a little and finally we can have some actual truth to the global warming scare!

5. sue says:

I never really noticed penguins until Andy over at Andy Land was giving them away… they’re kind of his mascot. I then started spotting them, like you did, EVERYWHERE. I suppose puppies and kittens got boring.

There is a Linux penguin on the sign outside my office space. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Sue, kittehs and pooches don’t sell operating systems or politics, so yeah they’re boring. Should I google andy land? What’s that?

Poppy, is this your sign? I have a few linux tux signs, bumper stickers, linux+oracle hats, stuffed animals, and all sorts of stuff I typically give my kids. GASP! Maybe *that’s* their sneaky plan!!!! How many of you sysadmins out there get penguin trinkets from vendors that you just give your kids?

8. Absurdist says:

You know what? This is actually a good blog. I have nothing to make fun of you on. Wayne, I am proud of you. I got nothing. Which means I can’t comment.

9. sue says:

He’s a blogger, comedian and juggler… and a penguin nut.

Absurdist, yet you still find a way. I loves you for it, too

sue, I’ll check it out. And I’ll refrain from making any penguin nut jokes. (ever notice how “refrain” means both NOT doing something AND doing something over and over?)

Comment: