I love starting a new series on my blog.  It’s something new, fresh, sure to please the censors and cures acne.  Sometimes I forget about the new series I’ve created, but that’s in the future and why worry about something so far off?  I don’t like to worry.

Today I want to tell you about my favorite drink holder.  It’s been with me ten years or more, and I don’t know why I love it.  I just do.  My brother has one, my dad has one, and I has one.

skull mug

skull mug profile

You may recognize this as a Treasure Island mug from Las Vegas.  That’s what it is.

Just look at it.  It’s mesmerizing in its coolness.  It sits there, nonchalantly holding whatever beverage that happens to be inside it, but all the while, it’s plotting its next move.  It’s scanning the environment, memorizing license plates, prioritizing attack targets and calculating emergency failback scenarios.  It will wreak havoc when you least suspect it because… well, it’s a skull.  Skulls do that.

Not only is it handy having a hell-bent agent of destruction and evil sitting next to me, it holds quite a volume of tasty beverage!  I don’t have to be bothered with constant refill trips to the water cooler – I only have to refill it 3 or 4 times a day.  If it were a lesser skull mug or (GASP) a non-skull mug, like a Hello Kitty mug or a “World’s #1 Boss” mug, I just would probably die of thirst because of how often I’d be required to fill it.  No sir, this is one BIG mug.

I should point out that there are certain people who cannot stand this mug.  I won’t name names, but in particular this person can be described as “someone who happens to be married to me.”  I have found out that all the Hall wives despise our skull mugs.  The way I “found out” was the mug was found in the garbage one day.   I saved it (I have no choice, it controlls controls my actions) and it was thrown out again shortly thereafter.  Turns out my brother faced the same bizarre circumstances and it was later we found out that there was a conspiracy to eradicate the skulls from our collective possession.

I can only attribute this action by the Hall wives to uncontrolled envy.  Or madness.  I like envy because it conveys a certain respect upon the person I’m accusing of envy, as it assumes that they like (love) the same thing I do – enough to take it away.  But madness will do in a pinch.  Either way, I now keep the skull at work on my desk.  Heaven help the poor unsuspecting user who comes my way looking for help.

Well, I need to go.  I’ve got absolutely nothing to do today and I wanna get started.

1. Michelle says:

Well, not to belittle your My-Mug-Can-Kick-Your-Mugs-Ass moment, but seems to me you already have.
    Started.
    Doing nothing.
    A whole lotta it.
    Heh.

That’s an awesome mug. Damn crazy wives!

Michelle, I appreciate you keeping my moment’s honor. The moment thanks you.

Avi, all I can think of now is “sir, I damn those glasses!” and think how great a pun it is!

4. DrinkBoy says:

I’ve got two of these mugs myself. I got the first one at Treasure Island soon after they opened. Of all of the “souvenir” mugs at Vegas, I think this is the best, as well as sturdiest.
    My second one, I picked up around March ’06. I was back in Vegas in March’07 as well, and dropped in to pick up another… but was informed that they stopped making them the year before. Hopefully you’ve been able to keep ahold of yours, since they will now be very hard to replace!

Drinkboy, yep, as long as I keep it at work, the wife is none the wiser! And frankly, she doesn’t care as long as she doesn’t ever see it again. The mug, however, has different plans. Sometimes it hops into my backpack hoping for a ride home so it can gaze upon my wife. It wants to watch my kids. It begs to terrorize my dogs. But I just keep washing it every day, filling it full of ice and water and drinking out of where it’s brain should be, and I feel superior.

6. Joe says:

hi i’ve been lucky enough to have been able to collect a nice collection of mugs back in the day when they were glass. I’ve got 2 from every casino on the strip. Please contact me i would like to talk futher on this. By the way they still give the plastic skull out at TI

7. Erik says:

That mug is awesome. I know because I have the same one filled with Diet Dew looking at me right now.

Comment: