December
2007
12:55 pm

I gotta get something off my chest.

I’m a Pepsi lover.

pepsi can is one of my favorite things

Sometimes I’ll go for a Coke, especially if it’s in a glass bottle, but Pepsi almost always wins hands down.

One of my favorite … let me make this clear… ABSOLUTE favorite uses of ice cold Pepsi – and it HAS to be in a can to get that sharp metallic taste – is to wash down sausage egg and cheese breakfast tacos from Kiefer’s cafe here in Austin.  It is pure heaven.  Something about the carbonation, the thick syrupy taste, the cold blast of energy, cleansing the throat and eating away at anything that might think of sticking around and causing me grief later…

Its interesting that I prefer Coke in the glass bottle (not plastic), but I prefer Pepsi in the metal can (no bottles).  Both are “ok” in the 2-liter variety; neither has a specific edge when packaged in that way.

I’ve been called a communist pig because I like Pepsi; this I do not understand.  But I put up with it because Pepsi is sooooo good.  Although I wish it would take a dash of vanilla as well as Dr. Pepper does – Sonic does a good job of creating the perfect “Vanilla Dr. Pepper.”  Also interesting that both Coke and Pepsi sell Vanilla-flavored versions of their soda pop but Dr. Pepper doesn’t.  And it’s Dr. Pepper that’s awesome with Vanilla!  This world is so super crazy I can’t believe it!

There’s another thing that kind of bothers me – Coke (and the associated Coke Products such as Dasani water, Minute Maid juices, Sprite) has MyCoke rewards (which I bestow upon Avi) but Pepsi has no such loyalty-based side benefit.  Surely Coke is still winning the Coke vs Pepsi marketing battle, so why wouldn’t they jump on the “drink our stuff and we’ll reward you” bandwagon?

Maybe I should just buy Pepsi stock.

1. Michelle says:

If I’da bought stock in Pepsi 27 yrs ago when I started my Mtn Dew addiction I could’ve paid for my college education before it started.
    And yes, only in a can. Lots of ’em a day. Being forced to give it up 2 wks ago almost killed me (hate those lack-a-Dew headaches) but I think I might live a bit longer because of it. Unless o’ course I run someone over while sleeping and driving ‘cuz I’m missing some serious caffeine. *sigh*

2. Hilly says:

Oh Wayne….I am going to have to check my Coca Cola Whore handbook to see if we can be blog buddies anymore. 😉

3. Mr. Fabulous says:

Well, this is very disappointing. I will have to wait for a ruling from Hilly to see if I can come back here.

I only still like you because you give me beaucoup rewards points.

5. At work we have the ol’ fridge of doom containing everyone’s bits and bobs. I’m a Coca Cola fan, my co-worker not so much.

Me: why are my precious coke cans now on the bottom shelf and your pepsi on the top shelf?
    Co-worker: er, because it’s coke.

So 5 minutes later I put all the pepsi in the freezer. Hey I do what I can. And yes, I’m 8 years old.

6. chillywilly says:

hey wayne. I’ve seen your comments over on Blogography.

As for vanilla Dr Pepper (officially, there’s no period punctuation after the ‘Dr’), there’s one with both cherry and vanilla – http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/drpepper_cherry_vanilla/ – and it’s pretty good, too… coming from someone who likes most things cherry and vanilla.

Michelle, I have to say I like Mtn Dew a lot too, but I just don’t choose it very often, and I think it’s just about habit. And Mtn Dew has to be from a can – fountain drink or bottle just doesn’t dew it for me. I once gave up all soda when my wife challenged me “you couldn’t go ONE DAY without your Pepsi!” and I ended up going 2 months. The 3rd day’s headache was KILLER.

Hilly, Obi-wan says “you have to do you what you feel is right, of course.”

Mr Fab, we’re both waiting. You’ve come back but I don’t think Hilly has. I guess we now know the answer *sob*

Avi, yes sir, and I have more on the way! Your loyalty, although fleeting, is very cheap.

Kevin, we welcome 8yr olds because this is a family-friendly blog. And if you didn’t know, the bottom shelf is PREFERRED because its colder down there.

chillywilly, seen you ’round on blogography also. and I thought about mentioning the cherry vanilla dr pepper because I figured someone would mention it, but I can’t get into the cherry stuff. It just isn’t palatable to me. I like vanilla coke and pepsi vanilla enough, but I wish they’d just make a vanilla DP. I’d be stocked up with that.

Comment: