It’s April 1st and I don’t have any pranks for you. Or do I?

August Rush is my new favorite movie

august rush movie

I have so much to say about this movie, but I think I’ll keep it to myself for now. Suffice it to say, I was completely taken and enraptured by this movie.  Maybe I’ll do a full Movie Review in a few weeks when I’ve composed myself (no pun intended).

Taxes in two weeks

Have you done your taxes yet? I haven’t.  Are you starting to think the Fair Tax might be for you?  I am.

Neal Boortz has an informative 1hr webinar about it.

fairtax.org

You know, I wouldn’t care if the Fair Tax saved me money or not on my own taxes.  In my opinion, the best thing about the Fair Tax is that the people who are currently skating by will finally have to pay taxes (drug dealers, tax evaders, illegal immigrants). Maybe that’s where they get the word ‘Fair’ from?

Why not read up on it and possibly sign the petition?  Like, before April 15th, people!

fair tax petition

How to Deal with Difficult People

I’ve been inadvertently pissing people off lately. Even when I’m agreeing with people, my words, tone or body language is seen as argumentary or contrarian. Now, I *am* a natural contrarian normally, but in these cases I’m not trying to be contrary or cause a conflict.  Someone will say “I make point A” and as far as I can tell, I’m agreeing with them, but the person I’m talking to hears “point A is stupid and point B is better” but really I’m saying “point A is right” but then I add some other stuff that isn’t important (I guess) and that’s what’s seen as an opposing view.

I’ll be discussing something with someone and BAM they’re pissed off at me and when I investigate further into why they’re pissed off, it’s because they see me as disagreeing with them OR disagreeing with them in a way that’s offensive.  It baffles me because I don’t recall disagreeing with them and I definitely don’t mean offense.

Since it’s happening with just about everyone, I have to assume it’s me.

How do I analyze myself and determine what I’m doing wrong? How do I fix this?

I’m thinking the answer is to just reduce the amount of talking. I don’t think I have a lack of listening ability but maybe I do.

LOLcats

Hey Dave2 and Avi!  There’s an iPhone app for LOLcats so you can get ICHC on your iPhone.  Like, every day even!

I love the kisses one the best. 🙂

Take video of you talking with someone and submit it to me. I’m the master at body language, tone, and figuring out who is at fault for something. 😉

2. Raganator says:

Love the it’s called food. Truly captures the sarcastic nature of cats.
    Ya haven’t pissed me off so maybe it’s them! 🙂

We had our taxes done already – we always get a pretty nice refund.

Poppy, yeah, that caption was better than my original idea of “mmmm, vitreous humour… nom nom nom.”

Raganator, yeah, it’s the look on the cat’s face that does it. i can pis u off 2morrow at pule leeg?

Avi, I always start first couple weeks in January and the sense of “I’m on top of this and doing it early” lasts me until now, 2 weeks before they’re due and now I’m like “I’m not on top of this anymore.”

Our accountant gets our receipts and stuff all year long, so in January all she has to do is compile them and she’s done. I’d rather not wait until April to get my $10K!

6. Ren Maddox says:

Avi, why wait at all? Why not just not overpay (at least not by so much) in the first place?

Ren, I know many people (usually older) who have that opinion, but honestly, I’d rather overpay throughout the year and live with a tiny bit less than have to owe something in April. If I had the discipline to save huge amounts throughout the year, I’d already be a multi-millionaire. This way, it’s involuntarily removed and we can save it for projects or investment.

A lot of the reason we get a refund, as well, is not because we overpay on our taxes – we have the correct amount withdrawn, supposedly. It’s just that between the two companies I own and our deductions, it ends up being pretty big.

8. sizzle says:

I really want to see that movie!

9. Absurdist says:

I would imagine that the person you piss off the most is me.

I will tell you why. Even though I luv ya as my bestest friend in the whole wide world, your perspective is skewed because your lfie has been a literal fairy tale compared to other lives. And you even admit that. So when I talk to you about my troubles, a lot of times, from your perspective, I get really frustrated at your advice because it’s naive. A lot of times too, you come across like I have told you lots; it seems like (not saying it’s true) that you assume a lot of things about what I have or have not done. And I get frustrated, because I get defensive, because it seems like you are saying you don’t think I have done the simplest and most intelligent of things, and I feel like you are insulting my intelligence. I think that’s just me though; probably not other people. You do put yourself on a pedestal, which may make it come across even more as if you think people haven’t done the simplest of things.

Everyone knows you are a very caring person. My biggest complaint is lack of follow through, though. Of course, you know that I tell you these things because you are my best friend.

10. Absurdist says:

And no, I haven’t done my taxes, because I am still depressed about the 25k in back taxes I am still paying. I think I will just disappear off the face of the earth.

11. sourpuss says:

I agree with Poppy. I need to see video of you communicating with someone before I am able to pass judgment on you. 🙂

sizzle, we also have Atonement and The Seeker on tap to watch soon… Oh, and Enchanted. All seem like they’ll be good, but it’s been a long time since I saw a movie that made me… Um, well that’s all I got to say about that.

Abs, maybe my problem is that I idolize Karl from SlingBlade….

sourpuss, 🙂 I would think I’d act differently if I were being observed, so either someone’s gonna have to go all Allen Funt on me or I’ll have to figure it out without the 3rd party observation.

13. Absurdist says:

That makes no sense to me.

Are you done? will you send me that thing please?

Abs, Karl was the ‘genius’ mentally handicapped guy who was the only one ‘smart enough’ to check if the lawn mower had gas when it wouldn’t start. Had he asked if it had gas, it would have been an insulting question but still was basic enough to be brought up, and was actually the problem.

I’m not smart enough about the topics we’re discussing to know a simple/offensive question from a useful question.

15. Absurdist says:

Yes, I know who he was.

I will refrain from comment.

16. golfwidow says:

I call “BS” on the “August Rush” thing. I didn’t even like it, and I like the occasional chick-flick. You’re totally punking.

This was before I found your blog. I may have to check out the movie, unless I’m being punk’d here, as Dave2 suggests.

martymankins´s last blog post..Scooter Sunday – Season 2 Ep. 02