Busy busy week!  I actually made my first ever vlog (gasp!) today but am having some audio trouble so I’ll post it when it’s ready.  In this issue,

• Jaden’s Kindergarten Graduation
  • Luna joins the Hall Family (new puppy!)
  • Best of LOLcats

Jaden’s Kindergarten Graduation

Well, they don’t actually call it a “graduation” but more like a “Celebration of Success”.  I’m sooo glad they clarified that they were celebrating success and not something else, like, oh, I don’t know… failure?

jaden grandview hills celebration of success kindergarten

We’re so very happy for him.  His teacher, Ms. Dominguez, is simply awesome.  We couldn’t imagine a better Kindergarten teacher.

heidi dominguez, jaden's kindergarten teacher in 2007-2008

It’s people like her that make me want our society to pay good teachers more.  Note that I’m not saying “all teachers should get raises” or “we should pay teachers more.”  Specifically, I’m saying that we should reward good teachers.  there should be such high standards for those in charge of teaching our young, that the market should demand extremely high talent, excellent motivators, caring and loving guidance givers, and we should pay them accordingly.  I want people to have to “try out” to be counted among the amazing.

Then again, maybe the allure of money would attract the wrong types of people.  Perhaps the quality of not requiring high recompense is one that accompanies all the other great qualities of the perfect teacher.  Hmm.  Maybe our current system is already the best it could be.  It sure doesn’t seem so, though.

What do YOU think we should do for our best teachers?

Luna joins the Hall Family

We’re big supporters of rescued dogs, and we encourage anyone who wants a great pet to consider adoption vs breeding.  In fact, you can go to petfinder.com and type in your zipcode and find the perfect pet near you that needs a home.

petfinder.com find homeless pets adopt one for yourself

Today we added Luna to our family – we found her through FOGAS – Friends of Gonzales Animal Shelter, where Caitlin volunteers countless hours each month in front of PetSmart to help clean, educate, set up, tear down, answer questions, and keep the dogs company while they look for new owners.

luna's first day with the hall family

Posting this picture reminds me that some people might have different meanings for the word “puppy” – to us, it’s just about any dog under a year old.  Luna is five months old (as far as anyone knows).  She’s probably a mixture of Australian Shepherd and Border Collie (as far as anyone knows) and she’s incredibly cute (as far as anyone knows).  She’s already started to attempt asserting her place in the pack, but you never know how the order ends up with dogs.

hall family dogs luna zina jupiter caitlin

Everything is SO much easier now that we’ve shaved the dog’s names into their fur.

Best of LOLcats

To make a long post even longer, and only annoy a few people, add some LOLcats!

lolcats finish him!

lolcats tough cat eats pain for breakfast
Yeah, that’s kinda good…
but “Chuck Norris Cat,” as name
fits bill much better.

His teacher’s hot!

Avitables last blog post..Survey says

Good teachers are hard to find, I know of some awful ones.

Robins last blog post..5 Qs: B

3. Raganator says:

Welcome Luna, hope she got the lecture about not knocking people down.
    The finish him photo seems very appropriate for this week!

I’m with Avitable… he’s got a hottie for a teacher. No wonder why he was “attentive in class and offered to help the teacher with many projects” (isn’t that what most report cards say?)

Luna looks like a cool dog. I wouldn’t mind having a dog again, but it’s going to be a while before we get to that point. In the meantime, we have our own set of LOL cats.

Avi, why do I all of a sudden hear drums sounding like a motorcycle? WHOA!

Robin, is it just me, or do teachers get worse as the student gets older? Don’t get me wrong, as I had some awesome teachers in high school but instinct tells me the higher the grade, the worse the teacher. Take professors for example…

Raganator, do you mean it’s really Obama and Hillary?

martymankins, I’ll go as far as saying she’s cute and sweet. I don’t want any trouble. I’ll at least say that I won’t say she’s *not* hot. Luna has been pretty cool so far – a few messes inside, but that’s expected. The dynamics of how the dogs interact are still being defined. Can a 5mo old pup become alpha?

6. amanda says:

I like how you clarified not giving all teachers raises haha. You knew someone wouldve said something. 🙂

I think that instead of having a flat pay rate and only raising it when a teacher has been there for a certain amount of time is what causes teachers to become comfortable and not do the best they can do. It should work as most jobs do and that is pay less for those who do JUST their job and more for those who go above and beyond. This could be determined by the classes grades or reviews of the classes every quarter.

There could be rewards programs like there is in our company. Management that produces the best results get rewards points which add up to disney vacations.

I am also a very big dog person. I want to start a shelter for dogs and rescue them. Better than kids I say. 😉 She is absolutely beautiful and I am so glad to hear someone else is doing great things for these dogs.

and umm LOL at the cat and cactus.

7. Tug says:

My parents were both teachers (good ones of course) 😉 and from what I saw, tenure was more a bad thing than good – we should get rid of it. Teachers get lazy, and it’s harder to get rid of them on tenure. There should also be some type of review like at any job, and not neccesarily just by their superiour, maybe the school board, or some type of parent’s organization with the school board…

Love the new pup!

Tugs last blog post..Just a funny

8. yellojkt says:

That is one mighty cute teacher. My son’s first grade teacher was a total hottie. They are wasted on the young.

yellojkts last blog post..BooksFirst – May 2008

Happy graduation, Jaden. 🙂

Poppys last blog post..ohmygawwhataboringpostbutLOOKthere’sacategoryforthat!

I would make a bigger announcement if I were choosing to not blog anymore.

Poppys last blog post..ohmygawwhataboringpostbutLOOKthere’sacategoryforthat!

11. congrats on being the son of a (now) 1st grader! I agree that high-caliber teachers should be rewarded with bonuses or something.

The puppy is super cute. Congrats on the new addition.

I love LOLcats….so I don’t mind at all!

Cissa Firehearts last blog post..We’ll sweep this clear in ‘alf a year, if you don’t mind the work….

12. Suebob says:

NOT THE CACTUS!!!!!

Poppy, oh believe me, I know. What a sad sad day that will be.

Cissa Fireheart, he’s SO proud to be a 1st grader. He keeps asking “how many weeks until I go to school again?”

SueBob, is there something I should know about cacti?

14. Nowadays, we lack good teachers. At least, that’s what I think in my country 🙁

15. Chris says:

Luna is very pretty. I had a dog that looked just like her when I was growing up. too cute.

Comment: