June
2008
1:49 pm

So here’s the story.

My wife goes into a pet store to return a bed we purchased for Luna, our new puppy.  Actually, it might have been for Zina, but the target of the purchase probably is immaterial, as is my small digression to point out how immaterial it is.

So she goes in and talks to the probably-vastly-over-paid-with-minimum-wage clerk to let him know she has the return to make and that she’d like to shop a little.  Luna needs chewies, you know (not these kind of chewies).  He nods and she puts it down the counter so she can shop.

By the way, she’s still recovering from her major patella dislocation in January and just recently stopped using crutches.  However, she still limps quite a bit and is a very s-l-o-w and deliberate walker as her healing process continues, and she tries to protect herself from wet floors, inconsiderate people and dogs who run up behind her to deliver an NFL tackle.

After making her way to the chewie aisle, she reviews the offerings.  After a bit of time, a manager-type of person comes up and greets her, sees how she’s doing (the store is very empty), comments on the dog, and asks “weren’t you in here the other day with your other dog?” and they chat a bit.  He goes back to his manager stuff or office or whatever, she finishes up and goes to check out.

The clerk up front starts to ring her up and then sees the pet bed that needs to be returned and says “oh yeah, for this return, we need you to write down your name, the reason for the return and your phone number” and hands over a sheet of paper.  My wife puts down her name, number and starts writing the reason and then the clerk says “oh, actually, well, we probably don’t need the reason if it wasn’t used” and they finish up.

Later that day the manager guy gives her a call and asks her out.

Does this fall into “creepy” or “creative”?  And what’s the best pick-up attempt you’ve ever experienced, either giving or receiving?

1. Hilly says:

creepy.
    because he lied to her.

Hillys last blog post..Song For The Dumped….

Just to be clear, the clerk that took her number is different from the manager that asked her out, correct? Even so, I say that’s still in the “creepy” bucket.

So, were’s he taking her?

Rens last blog post..Lunch at Gumbo’s

I should have clarified – the clerk and manager are two different people. The clerk got the info and the manager is the one who talked to her in the aisle and called. I don’t know what collusion occured between the clerk and the manager and if the clerk did *exactly* as the mgr requested or if he ad-libbed a little.

Hilly, it’s still a slightbit creepy, but I don’t know if he lied or not, given that he’s not the one who actually had her fill out the paper

Ren, Um, are you asking hypotheticals now? Obviously, Lunch at Gumbo’s…

I vote creepy, and a bit on the unethical side. Creepy for not asking her directly, which he would have had his answer without assumption) and unethical for using the store he works at for trying to secure a date blindly.

Nothing creative about this.

Best pickup attempt?? When I was single (post divorce), I saw an major hottie at a bar. She was with 3 other females, which normally means “we are being male tease toys tonight” But I had to go say something, so I sent a drink over to her (I asked the waitress what she was drinking). When the waitress told her who ordered it for her, I walked over to her table and said “it’s not often that I get to buy a drink for someone as amazingly attractive as you are.” then walked back to my table. About 20 mins later, I get a note passed to me that says she would like to talk more. After a nice 45 min conversation later, we were heading to my place for the night.

martymankinss last blog post..I’m A Liberal

Yeah, I actually think that’s a bit unethical and creepy. Probably completely against the corporate rules, too.

Avitables last blog post..Illusions of Grandeur

6. Hilly says:

I think that makes it even more creepy! And like Avitable said, unethical at best!

Hillys last blog post..Song For The Dumped….

7. sizzle says:

That is so unprofessional. He’s lucky she doesn’t call his boss and get him fired for inappropriate behavior. Totally creepy.

sizzles last blog post..Diggin’ It

Yargh! Creepy. So very creepy.

The BEST pick-up experience I’ve had can’t be described in mixed company. But one of my FAVORITE pick-ups was when I was at a Star Trek convention and a woman dressed as a Klingon smacked me on the back and said “YOU MUST MATE WITH ME NOW, HUMAN!!!” It was so bizarre that the only thing I could think to say was “well, okay, but I need to change my shorts first.”

Dave2s last blog post..Polite

9. Tug says:

Yep, what they all said – unethical & creepy. Worth reporting, if you’re into that.
    I once had a guy tell me he almost didn’t recognize me with clothes on…then found out he thought I was one of the nurses (I was at a hospital at the time). (It didn’t work, even though he kept trying after finding out I was someone else) (duh)

Tugs last blog post..Yet another BJ

I pick C, Bob: Inappropriate. That person could get fired for that.

Poppys last blog post..He’s here, he’s here!!!!

11. NYCWD says:

Under normal circumstances I would think this is very creative but at the same time I would say that is super creepy and possibly a violation of the store’s privacy practices… unless of course they don’t have one.

NYCWDs last blog post..Rachel Ray Needs Me

Update, not that it matters much, other than to point out how often I’m wrong (especially with person-to-person communication – I swear I’m working on it), but it wasn’t the clerk who asked for the paperwork, the clerk called the manager over, and the manager said they had some paperwork to fill out. It wasn’t a blank piece of paper but some sort of paperwork and when it got to the ‘reason’ the mgr just said she could tell her instead of write it down.

martymankins, if I were on the dating scene, that would be close to the approach I would likely try. But I’d do it with a twitter. And I would probably twit “I sense something, a presence I’ve not felt since…” and then we’d spend the night whispering Star Wars quotes together.

Avi, funny thing is, I would probably put emphasis and inflection on the word “I” in your comment. *you* think something is freaky? WHOA

Hilly, I can see why people thought it so, but I still got the impression, when told of the story, of “hmm, that’s creative.” But then again, I’m not a fan of a million policies that cover everything.

sizzle, he’s lucky, but I’m luckier.

Dave2, THAT would be a great pick-up line… the first time you heard it. But I immediately get the feeling that you’d see that same Klingon doing the same thing to all the guys who wore shorts. Although, I’m pretty sure the proper response is to sniff her right hand and then grip it so tightly it bleeds. I mean, what kind of a MAN are you?!?!??

Tug, definitely NOT someone into reporting much. Live and let live. Flirt and let flirt. Usurp the trust vested in one’s self as a manager and let usurp.

Poppy, well whaddya know. Poppy “C”‘d. What a surprise…

NYCWD, DAWG WINS!

13. metalmom says:

In the recovery room-still coming out of anesthesia-male nurse says “Interesting tattoo on your ankle. I’d like to buy you dinner and then you can take a look at mine….up close….” I shudder to think of what happened while I was still ‘out’!!

What time of day was this? What pet store? Was he cute? I’m just asking….

metalmoms last blog post..Stray Ponderings

metalmom, hmmm, hospital anesthesia stories *would* make me want to check out the policies a little more, now that I think about it.

15. Gally says:

It’s unappropriate and cowardly, but not creepy. Anyone that calls someone to asks them out and doesn’t have the courage to ask her for her number directly – is a big ol’ chicken! Does Petsmart sell chickens? He may just not now how to properly ask or compliment someone – Not everyone has the suaveness you have to get your beautiful wife to marry you with your one-o f-a-kind pick up lines:) Ok, BEST and also WORST pick up line combo in one that I’ve ever heard — this is the only time I was really flattered and ultimately disgusted at the same time (yep it’s possible). I once heard in a pool hall after shooting a game. “Is that corn in your hair, because you are the SHIT!” It is what it is *smiles*

Impressive. Did you see my commuting pickup story? Here it is: http://www.roadlessunraveled.com/2008/05/23/coincidence/

Robins last blog post..The Hair

17. Winter says:

Totally unethical. I’d get his ass canned. On the other hand, very flattering for you that men lust after your woman. Heh.

Winters last blog post..The Vampire Show

The only Star Wars dialouge I would be whispering would be “Do you want to see my wookie?” (that’s the cleanest I could keep it for ya, Wayne)

martymankinss last blog post..I’m A Liberal

19. if he was cute, then it’s creative. otherwise it’s creepy. Fair? probably not, but true.

Anonymous City Girls last blog post..Holy Crap!

Gally, Ewwww! but also creative. It’s not like you’ll forget that one any time soon. Maybe next time I go up to the pet store I’ll have her point him out to me and I’ll start going “bok bok! bok bok!” ok maybe not.

Robin, I didn’t before but just did, and that’s not too bad. If you weren’t taken, I assume you’d consider calling him?

Winter, I know! I do take it as flattery.

martymankins, Or maybe you could doctor them up

I find your lack of condoms disturbing.
    Judge me by my size, do you?
    These aren’t the clothes you’re looking for.
    You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor. I think I love you.
    Aren’t you a little short for a Storm Trooper?

Anonymous City Girl, yup, totally not fair, but is EXACTLY the way it was. I almost thought about posting this story without the details of luna/zina or the time, and then let people rip away, and then say “oh, and the manager guy? that was me 20 years ago..” or something like that.

Actually, probably not. The Monte Carlo, the smoking and the conservative stickers on his windows were already a big turnoff.

Robins last blog post..2 Weeks

22. Raganator says:

she should have at least gotten free chewies! 🙂

Comment: