… but I never know how to express them.

Fortunately, I have Wordle to help me.

wordle of whall.org tweets twitter
(click to enlarge as PDF)

The above graphic represents my tweets.

What’s that you say?  “What’s a tweet?”  A tweet is something I twittered.  It’s a short one-liner I presented to the world through twitter.  And the above “word cloud” represents all the words I used in all my tweets since I started using it in October 2007.  The more common the word, the bigger it’s representation.  Common words like the, and, a and wtf are removed for clarity.

Here’s how I did it:

1. I took all the words in all the tweets I’ve done so far on twitter
  2. I massaged them a bit with vi and command line text tools (to make it all lower case, get rid of URLs and HTML, and get rid of “new blog post”)
  3. I submitted the resulting text to Wordle
  4. I got back a word cloud summarizing all of my tweets.  Made the graphic and the PDF.
  5. (I found Wordle through Jonathan Coulton, who found it through Brad Sucks.)

Yeah, I guess I have some kind of twitter-crush on Dave2 (blogography).  Whatever.  I also see absurdist and snackiepoo and gally, avitable, watchdogjestertunes, mr_shiny and martymankins.  All these people are on twitter and get replies or messages from me.  You can join twitter with us and get in on the fun.

This got me thinking – what do my post titles look like? (what do I write about?) What about all my posts? (How do I write about them?)  What about the comments?  (What do YOU write about?) I didn’t have to wonder long – I just exported my comments, titles and posts from my WordPress blog’s database, did the same massaging and then made myself some graphics.

whall.org post titles Wordle:

whall.org wordle post titles
(click to enlarge as PDF)

whall.org posts Wordle:

wordle whall.org posts
(click to enlarge as PDF)

whall.org comments Wordle:

whall.org comments as a wordle
(click to enlarge as PDF)

I especially like the java interface where you can change the font, layout and color scheme and it renders in real-time.  Very slick!  Nice job, Jonathan Feinberg!

And the final result?  If I mash up all the posts, post titles, comments and tweets?  I get a decent summary of my online presence:

wordle of all whall.org comments posts titles tweets
(click to enlarge as PDF)

Yup.  It says it right there – “good blog.”

I also see the word “obama” in the twitter wordle and it’s pointed upwards. coincidence? hmmm….

That’s quite the process to get all of that put into a Wordle format. And you used vi? Impressive.

martymankinss last blog post..Random Leakage #1

I like this concept. Very cool!

Avitables last blog post..My Dear John Letter

3. sizzle says:

That’s so fun!

sizzles last blog post..Hello. It’s Nice to Meet You.

You have way too much time on your hands, mister.

I’M TOTALLY PUSHING THE “WAYNE’S BUTTON” RIGHT NOW! *CLICK*

Poppys last blog post..Linkblogger: News Flash: Cosmo is socially irresponsible

Good. Blog.

Rens last blog post..Palm Apps I’d Miss

6. Dragon says:

Pretty freakin’ awesome, dude.

Dragons last blog post..Seven Deadly Sins Dinner

7. Hilly says:

This is totally awesome! I wish I knew how to do stuff like this :).

Hillys last blog post..I’m So Yours For The Taking….

Yes, this graphic reveals that Blogography is the most important thing in your life… even more so than your family… which is exactly as it should be.

Though I am questioning the accuracy here, because I am not seeing LOLCats anywhere. Hmmm…

Dave2s last blog post..Adventure

9. Winter says:

That is totally cool and now I’m itching to do it. I’m sure Blogography and Snackiepoo would be quite large in my Wordle too. And probably some tech whining as well.

Winters last blog post..Three

It’s all your fault.
    I refer, of course, to the fact that I finally signed up for Twitter.
    Now you simply MUST help me find a decent-looking widget for my sidebar. One that is not plain and ordinary, one that does not suck, and one that can show me more than one tweet at a time.
    It would also be nice if it was a scratch-and-sniff widget that smelled like fresh lemon zest.
    My needs are small.

Jannas last blog post..Now everyone needs to jump off a cliff…

11. Raganator says:

LOL CATS…. wear r dey??

and of course your blog is good; it’s the only 1 I read on a regular basis.

my time is precious

martymankins, one of my original Wordles had obama, hope and love all tangled together like they meant something. And I used vi only to clean up the text before submitting it to wordle. Wordle.net does all the work.

For those who are technically adept, here’s the set of vi commands I used once I copied and pasted from excel:
    1. Convert upper case to lower case
    :%!tr ‘A-Z’ ‘a-z’
    2. remove all links in the middle of a tweet
    :%s/http:.* //g
    3. remove all links at the end of a tweet
    :%s/http:.*$//g
    4. remove “new blog post”
    :%s/new blog post//g

Avi, yeah, it struck me as cool as well.

sizzle, sometimes I just stare and look for meaning.

Poppy, Styx and stones may break my bones but Poppy’d never hurt me. Besides, no-one pushes my buttons like Dave2. See below for proof.

Ren, you are on a two-word limit, Mister!

Dragon, thank you for dragon your browser over to my blog and reading along!

Hilly, I guess I’m supposed to be all humble and whatnot and say ‘oh it’s not that hard’ or ‘it’s nothing’ but sometimes when I say that I make people feel bad. Usually it’s because I’m glaring at them when I say it. But I’m not now!

Dave2, hmm, “important”? or “common?” haha. Ahm sew funneh.

anyway, you have a good point about the LOLcats. I noticed that there was “lol” and “cats” but I realized also that I don’t hardly ever actually use the word “LOLcats” in posts, titles, tweets or comments. I had removed the URLs and image tags also aren’t included.

But if I were to somehow analyze the keywords in my images names, I might get an altogether different wordle. hmmm.

Ok, here’s what I did. I parsed ALL the image tags of all my posts, got the filename for the images I use, replaced any non-alphanumeric junk and WHAMMO I now have a view of my images

One thing I noticed is you can right-click on a word and say “remove and re-layout” which is interesting…

Winter, scratch

Janna, I take the blame. And I’m more of a “Energy” Zest cuz it’s must fresher. I don’t want to be lemony and I definitely don’t want to be le monkey.

Raganator, see above. And thank you, “my precious…..sssssssssss”

I just learned a lot about you, so cool. I’m posting one of these I made on my WedBlog on my wedding day that I made with my vows.

Robins last blog post..Until I Find Somebody New

14. Absurdist says:

God I hated vi. Thank you for not taking my screaming and yelling at you yesterday personally, and calling me this morning to tell me who I am. I appreciate that. I even remembered to make coffee. I did hit the “start” button, right?

Absurdists last blog post..Scared Shitless

15. Since I don’t see my name, I’ll just have to settle for “pretty.” *grin*

16. Tug says:

Pretty awesome! I may steal it one day…if I ever post again. 😉

Tugs last blog post..The shock & surprise of it all

Waaaaaaahhhhh!
    I just went to wordle and tried making one of these for my blog, but can’t. It’s not what I thought it was… I thought you’d give it an URL and it would search all the text on that site, then produce a picture/chart for it.
    But all it has is a box where you type in a bunch of text.
    Dude! How do you DO this without manually typing in each and every word????? How do you get it to collect the source text??
    I don’t get it.

Jannas last blog post..Note to self: Behave Suspiciously

Robin, that’s a GREAT idea. I got to thinking of other things we could wordle and the mind boggles. Maybe aliens have Wordles that they see when they look at us. Ooh, I just got a great idea for a song video.

Abs, no problem!

BlondeBlogger, I’m sure it will show up next time

Tug, oh the drama of it all!

Janna, what can I say? I’m a good typist. but seriously, tho, I can type REALLY fast. Haha, just kidding. anyway, about my typing, I’m awesome.

So while I disclosed what I did for my tweets, using someone else’s tool online (TWSS), I didn’t list out everything I did for my blog. I use wordpress, and I’m self-hosted, which means I have access to my blog database. wordpress uses MySQL and there happens to be a web front end so I just used it to export my posts database to excel. Did the same with comments. Then once in excel, I highlighted the ‘titles’ column, copied it to clipboard, and pasted that into wordle.net’s site.

For posts and comments, I wanted to clean it up some, so in between highlight column and pasting into wordle, I used a text editor (vi is my favorite) to collapse all the upper case letters to lower case, get rid of the urls, and remove some repetitive-yet-unhelpful words. THEN I pasted it into wordle.

Since you’re on blogspot, I don’t know what they offer in terms of backup, export or getting your actual source data. But I’ll give a crack at it and see if I can’t get it via RSS or do a fake conversion of your blog. Then I’ll make up a bunch of words and repeat them in there.

19. Oh yes!!!

Wayne, I’m marvelling at your technical abilities — I wish I were that conversant in this very special language and with the silcon-based gewgaws (I’m pretty good with the silcone ones, hehe), skills which enable us to communicate with all of the plastic people of the universe or those flexible Gumby-like critters who might one day emerge from a silver flying saucer to save us from our overspending selves. Soon come, soon come.

I have made a point to follow your e-moves and i-shakes more closely. You have a rejuvenated new ally in the Golden Village of Prague. (Just pretend in this case I’m Morgan Freeman — the Muslim — in Prince of Thieves — what a great introduction, was it not?)

Your man on the saintly cobbles,
    Guarding the eastern approach,
    Straddling the Benes-Stalin Line,
    Oh yes,
    ADM

Adam Daniel Mezei´s last blog post..Amazing Splendid Thoughts — March 01, 2009 — Coming to the Aid of Prague’s Tourists…Again

Comment: