June
2008
6:38 pm

I’ve been thinking recently about my blog’s name.  The “blog of whall.”  I’ve been the blog of whall for over three years now.  I took whall.org because the dot-com and dot-net variants were already taken.  I’d rather not have a dot-org for a couple of reasons – one of which you can’t have private domain registration and the other being you’re supposed to be non-profit – but I never took the time to brand myself on an available dot-com.

whall.org blog of whall brand logo

If there’s something I like about my domain, whall.org, is that it’s short.  It’s [mostly] easy to say (doubleyou-hall dot org).  I’m very used to typing it.  And, it’s an established brand, if you could call it that.

My brain, however, keeps diverting itself from thinking about important things such as work, family, breakfast tacos and Kirstie Alley and won’t let go of the idea of possibly changing my domain and blog name.  I weigh the disadvantages against the advantages; I wonder if I should go all-out on a real theme, logo, etc.

Some of the names I toy with include

1. whall.us (I own)
    Possibly more appropriate for commercial use, and short.
  2. offthewhall.com (do not own)
    This is probably the one I think about the most – easy to remember, easy to say, and it’s a .com.  It’s also related to what I would consider my blog – off the wall.  Plus I love Michael Jackson.
  3. whall.name and waynehall.name (I own)
    Very specific to my name.  However, I’m not sure about making my blog about my name.  There’s something to be said about using a theme and moniker instead of my actual name.
  4. whallify.com (I own)
    I’ve used the name ‘whallify’ for a long long time.  It’s a verb meaning “to whall”.
  5. 4mon.com (I own)
    Short domain name, but totally unrelated to what my blog would be about.  It will probably be a domain I keep for intending to resell.
  6. bitemy.net (I own)
    Snarky.  Maybe I should give it to Hilly.
  7. firewhall.com (do not own)
    Short, easy to say, but not necessarily appropriate to the blog.

I want to open up the discussion – let me know what you think!

First question is – keep existing or change?  Second question is – if change, which one?

1. I say you stick with what you’ve got, but if you’re going to change, I like either “offthewhall” or “firewhall.” They just sound catchy.

I love “offthewhall.com”!!

I love it so much that I’m rushing to register it right after I type this!

Though, on second thought, I probably like “whallify.com” best… I have to admit to typing in “whall.com” more than once when I wasn’t clicking through from my feed reader, and ended up puzzled because I got somebody else.

Dave2s last blog post..Swowen

Am kind of curious as to why “BlogOfWhall.com” didn’t make the cut when it’s the name of your blog? I think I’ve typed that a couple times too…

Dave2s last blog post..Swowen

4. Winter says:

I like offthewhall.com. Whallify.com would be my 2nd choice. As usual, someone (Dave this time instead of Adam) said what I was thinking… why not blogofwhall.com? I would like firewhall.com if it weren’t for my Sonic Net woes in the past week. As for Bitemy… When I was doing Entrecard my little card had my moon and bats and said BITE ME on it. LOL But I made it back when I was using a subdomain of winterheart.com. Now that I have sunlightsucks.com I’m not so sure I like the Bite Me card anymore.

Winters last blog post..Draggin’

5. Hilly says:

Yes yes…save the bitemy one for Hilly! 😉

I am a total joiner…first choice would be offthewhall.com then sedond would be whallify.com. I also wanted to ask the same question Dave did about blogofwhall.com but since I don’t want to be a copycat, please scratch that from the record!

Hillys last blog post..Bigger, Longer, And Uncut…

6. Tug says:

I like whallify.com best, but as for whether you should move or not? I suck at that. I’ve been wondering for over a year if I should switch from blogger to wordpress, or just wait for blogger to offer private posts.

I’m still waiting……….. 😉

Tugs last blog post..The Gratitude Campaign

7. sourpuss says:

I understand your need for change but I like whall.org just fine. Forced to choose? My pick is offthewhall.com

sourpusss last blog post..Takin’ it easy

8. Dragon says:

Another vote for offthewhall.com! Other than that, don’t change a thing. We like you just the way you are… [Dragon channeling her inner Billy Joel]

Dragons last blog post..Banana Maple Ice Cream with Sugared Walnuts

offthewhall.com seems to be a great one!
    TheGreatWhall.com might be another idea.

Avitables last blog post..Lazy Sunday XLV

Being a family blog, I can see why you didn’t go after BallsToTheWhall.com, even though it has a tough sounding name to it.

Like the others, I like OffTheWhall.com (surprised you didn’t register it before posting this post – splogs can be nasty about stealing stuff)

But I also like whall.org. My other site chillywilly.org came about because the .org and .net versions of it were already taken (I send emails twice a year to the guy who owns chillywilly.com asking if he’ll lower his asking price of $5,000 to something more reasonable)

I say keep the current name, raise $10,000 in funds and go purchase whall.com and let us know when you make the switch.

martymankinss last blog post..The Wedding Part 1: Getting There

11. Raganator says:

Keep it like it is. It’s obviously worked for this long. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

I realize I’m a day late and a dollar short here, but my vote is to either keep it the same or change it to “Off the whall”.

Jannas last blog post..Manic Monday: Pride

And…. (*ahem*) if you happen to need a new banner for “Off The Whall”, you do have a blogger buddy who does exactly those sort of graphics…

Jannas last blog post..Manic Monday: Pride

14. Wayne says:

I really like Avitable’s idea, The Great Whall!
    But most everyone’s other choice, Off The Whall is good too.
    I thought your .org thing was kinda odd.

I’m not sure, I’m often thinking about changing my site to something more tangible, more fun and more me, something a little shorter. I have no idea but I do really like offthewhall.com.

BlondeBlogger, I appreciate the vote!

Dave2, Whew, you had me goin’ there for a minute. I went ahead and reserved it on the off chance (and martymankins reminder) that someone might snatch it. I’ve wanted whall.com for 10+ years but haven’t been able to get it.

And great point about blogofwhall.com! I didn’t even think of that. I wonder if it’s worth the $6.99/yr to let those who might type that in get to me… but if I rebrand, then I’m taken care of. Hmm.

Winter, yeah, firewhall.com would be cool if I did network stuff on my blog OR if I had a catchy phrase like “you’re fired”

Hilly, another vote and I think that’s a quorum. or a harem. I forget.

Tug, oh you should totally go wordpress. I can help if needed.

sourpuss, and another vote

Dragon, you mean you don’t want me Movin’ Out?

Avi, Maybe I should go in halvsies with Shiny and figure out our little corner of China.

martymankins, if I weren’t family oriented, I’d probably drop the whole whall part and do blogasm or something. And I did go ahead and register (whew)

Raganator, you know, I don’t do well with dissenters. We’ll have to have a little chat on Wednesday.

Janna, I was actually thinking of approaching you about the graphic. I’m thinking me posed as Michael Jackson in front of a brick whall made up from little Waynes. Whatcha think?

Wayne, yeah I’d prefer to not be .org, hence the whole discussion.

Robin, you’ve got a great blog name already!

17. Absurdist says: