July
2008
8:51 am

So, it seems 2.6 is out, the “latest stable release of WordPress”

wordpress 2.6 is out

So, anyone dare me to upgrade first?  Don’t be shy.

I’m at 2.3.3 cuz I chickened out of upgrading to 2.5 or 2.5.1 after a few issues I had with some of the blogs I help support.

1. NYCWD says:

I dare you!!! Someone needs to be the guinea pig… I think its your turn.

NYCWDs last blog post..Why Can’t You Just Hate Me For Me

2. Dragon says:

I double DAWG dare ya. Get it? Double DAWG? You know…cause he just left a comment…..um, nevermind. It was funnier in my head.

Dragons last blog post..Grilled Pineapple with Rum Syrup

Yes, please do so. I’m skeered to do it.

Avitables last blog post..Getting nailed

4. Bucky says:

I upgraded yesterday. The only problem I had was trying to log back in.

Apparently 2.6 handles cookies differently, and the new cookie won’t overwrite the old one so you have to go in delete your cookies manually.

…at least I did.

But other than that, it’s pretty awesome. There are some new features that come in handy.

Did you watch the video? http://wordpress.org/development/2008/07/wordpress-26-tyner/

Buckys last blog post..The Swap Meet: WV Style

5. Ren Maddox says:

I upgraded yesterday with no issues.

Ren Maddoxs last blog post..iYardage – Future IntelliGolf Replacement?

Works for me so far.

7. Absurdist says:

2.5 has been a nightmare for me. Go for it. that way, you can support my site much better. 🙂

Absurdists last blog post..Free Kibble

Dawg, My turn? Does this have something to do with a barrel?

Dragon, I don’t mean to be dragon on with this joke, but I will anyway. Get it? DRAGON?

Avi ain’t skeered. jew R tho.

bucky, Nope, hadn’t seen the video. But your response prompts more questions – 1) what did you upgrade FROM and 2) what new features do you like?

Ren, same two questions for you

Robin, you too (the questions, that is)

Abs, I wonder if your 2.5 issues are plugin-related. But I promise to upgrade you after I upgrade me.

9. Bucky says:

Whall – I upgraded from the 2.5 series. One of the newest features (in 2.6) that I like is the fact that you can use GEARS (or TURBO as it is called in wordpress). Your blogs css files and images will be stored locally so your admin pages load faster.

I also liked the added avatar support. They went from using only gravatar to also supporting, identicon, wavatar, and monsterID.

The image control is completely revamped also. Much more user friendly. I know user friendly doesn’t always = better, but in this case I believe it does.

There is also a little bubble above the plugins link that notifies you if any of your plugins need updated.

…..just to name a few.

10. Miss Britt says:

I suck at backing up and have heard too many horror stories.

So. Um. No.

Miss Britts last blog post..Wanted: Temporary Babysitter For My Uterus.

11. Raganator says:

Have I told you lately that I’m just here for LOL cats?

Just checking

I’m at 2.5.1 and have no plans to go to 2.6 for at least the next few weeks. I’m normally pretty good about verifying that the few plug-ins I use, I try to make sure they work well.

Wish I had a test web site I could load all of the latest releases and plug-ins to test before loading them live on my blog. May have to find such a site, unless there is one out there already that people can use.

Comment: