September
2008
11:12 am

(20)08-09-10, at 11:12:13. (Central Time Zone, Daylight Savings Time)

Ok I cheated a bit but you get the idea.  A couple of months ago I celebrated 1:23:45 on 06-07-08.  Next year I’ll celebrate 12:34:56 on 07-08-09.  You shoulda seen it – party hats, numbered candles, Mayan sacrifices, the whole bit.

You know, people have been saying that the new LHC experiment may result in creating a Time Machine.  Others claim that a black hole will be created and it’s the end of the world as we know it.  Couldn’t they wait until December of 2012 to do it, just to be cool?  Or at least have better timing?

Some people claim that – if a time machine were EVER invented/discovered, in the past or the future, we’d know about it because at some point in the future, someone would go in the past (or now) and we’d just know.

However, I’m smarter than that because I’ve seen the movie Primer.

I’m thinking a time machine could be created at the time they do the experiment, and from that point forward time travel is possible.  Or, at the very least, people in the future could come back to that point but not any earlier.

Maybe that’s why it’s the end of the world as we know it because really, nothing happens at first, but at some point in the future, somebody decides the world is stupid and goes back as far as they can (which is the time that they turned on the LHC) and decides to blow up the world.

And, I’m not pointing fingers or anything, but it probably was a liberal.

1. owlmanatt says:

Good thing CERN is prepared for the worst:

I never thought I’d actually see a resonance cascade…

There’s only two types of time machines I think are valid: the backup utility that comes with Mac OSX Leopard and the Delorean from the Back to The Future movies. Anything else is just a poser.

As for your OCD number obsession, I do now notice 11:11 twice a day, for no reason other than I look at the clock to see that now. Thanks to you.

martymankins’s last blog post..Scooter Monday #21

3. Shiny says:

Speaking of time travel — by any chance have you read Desmond Warzel’s funny short story “Wikihistory?” I don’t know if posting a URL will put this reply in a SPAM queue, so just Google the title of the story and click on the first link.

Great stuff. Deals with time travel, internet forums and, of course, the ongoing war between moderators and n00bs. 🙂

The only time I ever notice on my clock is 4:20. Seriously! Now back in the day, we all know what that meant, but for whatever reason, I still constantly wonder what the time is and look at the clock and it is 4:20. Maybe I smoked too much back in the day, or maybe I just get curious about the time the same time, every day.
    God, I swear I am not stoned. Just rambling!
    😀

Sybil Law’s last blog post..Sistine Bubblewench

Damn hippie time traveling liberals.

Avitable’s last blog post..Spreading the bloggy love

Damn hippie time traveling liberals.

See? They went back in time and made my comment show up twice!

Avitable’s last blog post..Spreading the bloggy love

owlmanatt, I think I speak for all of us when I say, “What?”

martymankins, You’re welcome. Here’s another obsession to add to your list of things you got from me. This site will tell you if the LHC has destroyed the world yet or not: http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

Shiny, nope, but I’ll add it to my list of cool things I haven’t done yet. I have my wordpress set to auto-spam comments with more than 4 URL’s in them. My favorite time-travel-kindof book is “Replay” by Ken Grimwood.

Sybil Law, I swear I’m not pointing at you and laughing. Just looking!

Avi, so they can travel in time *and* they’re lazy? Cuz couldn’t they have re-corrected their mistake, given that they would have had plenty of time?

Aren’t all hippies lazy?

Avitable’s last blog post..Spreading the bloggy love

10. owlmanatt says:

Sorry, bad LHC jokes. I guess nobody’s familiar with the plot of the original Half-Life. 🙁

My money’s on the LHC causing a resonance cascade and opening a portal to Xen and a buncha headcrabs invade. That’s why Reddit sent them the trademark weapon of Half-Life: a red crowbar. Nothin’ beats that for smashing angry aliens bent on taking over the planet.

11. kapgar says:

I’ve always been one to make mental note of 12:34.56 on a daily basis when I actually see it. But never thought about doing it on that date. Please remind me and I’ll join in the celebration with you next year! Unless, of course, you have a time machine and have already celebrated and just aren’t telling us.

kapgar’s last blog post..Just to hit the ball and touch ’em all…

12. Miss Britt says:

Is THAT what that thing was?

Miss Britt’s last blog post..An Open Letter To Independents and Undecided Voters

I remember when I first heard about this thing. A reporter asked one of the scientists about the possibility of it causing the world to end and the scientist said, “the probability is very low”.

And then scientists wonder why the public views them as some kind of alien species.

marilyn’s last blog post..New Random Junk

As usual I don’t know what you are talking about. I could read the wikipedia, maybe later…

15. sue says:

Oh, thanks. Now I have THAT to worry about…

16. Faiqa says:

I’m going to have to go back and re-read that whole post. I’m still recuperating from Robert Zemeckis’ attempts to mess with my mind using time travel in Back to the Future I, II, & III. Darn that Doc Brown and the space time continuum.

Avi, I’m pretty sure the hippies are behind the Americans With No Abilities Act (AWNAA), so that seems pretty lazy to me.

ownmanatt, I’ll go for broke and admit my complete clueless-ness by saying I’ve not read/seen/played/believed Half-Life. But I appreciate the net gain in my geek trivia. Red Crowbar. Got it.

kapgar, Given the new grammatical rules we’ll have to follow with time travel, you’ll hopefully understand when I say – we will have had a great time up then. (I used past future perfect tense)

Miss Britt, if by “that” you meant the thing in the movie, then yes, it was a time machine.

marilyn, there are even better cases than that for alien involvement – just look at the major state changes of life and humans. Cambrian Explosion. The Bible. Weapons. Velcro. Shamwow. All potentially influenced by outside intelligences. Doo-deeeeee-dooo.

robin, Obfuscation unintentional.

sue. Fear. It’s not just for breakfast anymore.

Faiqa, No problem. My name’s Clint. Clint Eastwood.

18. Ren Maddox says:

(Can’t help it…)

I think past future perfect would be more like “will have been having a great time”.

Comment: