A couple of weeks ago, I asked you to put your hands in the ay-yer.  I think I only counted 12 people doing so.  Now, I don’t know if it’s that you can’t hear me, or if you’re just “not interested” but a slightly better attitude would be appreciated.

Sycophants of the world, UNITE!

Why?

Because I TOLD YOU TO!

A very useful engine

Many of you know that Thomas the Tank Engine is a “very useful engine”. Jaden loves Thomas movies, action figures, train sets, computer games, and I blogged last year about the Day Out With Thomas, which he and I both loved immensely.

But this post isn’t about Thomas, as much as it’s about a “very useful computer gadget”

sata ide adapter

co-worker of mine picked up a couple of these at Altex and I must say, it’s gotta win some kind of product award. It’s incredible!

For those of you who do computer support, you’ve  probably run into the problem where a hard drive won’t boot. It still spins up, and it still has data, but it just won’t boot for this reason or that reason, usually a problem with Windows.

In the past, we’ve just used some special hardware to try to slave or mount the drive on a desktop machine with ribbon cables and room for extra drives. This was easy with desktop drives, but we had to get a special adapter for the laptop drives. It wasn’t pretty, but it did the job.

Then came along SATA, the way-faster and way-simpler connector but made it harder for us to do the drive slaving. We had to use a SATA desktop or one of the cool combo units Dell sold for a while that had both EIDE and SATA. But still, it was a pain, and generally involved “open heart surgery” on the PC we used as the diagnostic system.

This adapter he picked up allows for just a simple USB connection and it supports all desktop/laptop PC drives – desktop IDE, desktop SATA, laptop IDE and laptop SATA.   When connecting IDE, you don’t even need a separate power adapter!  For SATA, there is a separate power cable you have to plug in, but still, all of this beats doing it manually.  Best of all, since it’s USB, you don’t have to open up any PC’s.

Plus, it’s all hot-swappable.  With our old way of doing things, we’d have to shut down and reboot every time we disconnected or connected a drive.

Kudos, VANTEC!

Marching Band is still cool

Caitlin, our eldest, joined “the big time” this year by reaching freshman high school age. Now she’s with the Big Time band, the Cedar Park Timberwolves. This band is something else, lemme tell ya.

Last night was the “LISD Festival of Bands” where all the Leander Independent School District bands (middle school and high school) perform to a very populated football stadium.  I shot some video that I might upload at some point.  Let me know if interested.

Last year, the marching band put on a show called “Pursuit of Happiness” and even ended the show with a winking smiley face:

The official videos of this year’s band are still secure and for staff/band/family, so if you want to see them, get in touch with me directly and I’ll send a link.

Best of LOLCats

1. Becky says:

I decided to delurk today! Now that is an impressive marching band! I hope she has a lot of fun with it.

Becky’s last blog post..I’m Alive

2. Bucky says:

There are several times I wish I had that piece of hardware…several.

3. Shawna says:

Yeah…all the hardware stuff went straight over my head, but I appreciate it because you love it. Nice of me, huh?
    LOVE the LOLcats. More, more, more…

Wow! Great shot!! It brings me back big time. I was in the colorguard in highschool so marching band was a big part of my life. We did a kickass Carmina Burana.

All computers should have Target Disk Mode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Disk_Mode). Obviously, it doesn’t handle all situations where you might want to use that device….

Greatest. Hardware. Device. Ever. Saved my bacon many times, for both PC and Mac use. Such a great tool. And for under $30 from most of the places on the web that I’ve seen it for sale, it’s a no-brainer for anyone that needs to get data from an older or corrupted hard drive.

And I liked the “HEY you kids” LOLcat.

martymankins’s last blog post..Scooter Sunday #22

So, what is ay-yer and if I put my hands in there will it hurt me?

Love the LOL cats. I’m sorry I’m not up to downloading the video right now but I’m sure it’s really great too.

marilyn’s last blog post..Ruby Tuesday: Crab apples

8. Miss Britt says:

OK. I’m united.

Now what?

Miss Britt’s last blog post..How You Can Tell You Are Making Progress In Life

9. Evil Genius says:

Thanks for sharing the marching band vid. They look awesome, and it sure did bring back memories for me. Sigh…

More LOL cats! Yay!

Evil Genius’s last blog post..Apparently, Ike Also Hates Hoosiers

Becky, welcome to the blog of whall! She’s lovin’ every minute of it. This band wins awards like nobody’s business.

Bucky, Uma, Oprah. Uma, Oprah. Becky, Bucky. Becky, Bucky

Shawna, just about every week, LOLcats for your viewing pleasure. And for some people’s viewing hell.

Robin, yeah, my wife and I were both in marching band, so we totally relate.

Ren, I’d not heard of that, but I’m pretty darn glad to know of it now, since I’m gonna try out hackintosh and vm mac appliance.

martymankins, yeah, that was my favorite LOLcat.

marilyn, ay-yer is all around us. We become one with it as we breath and it drives the essence of our very blood and tissue.

Miss Britt, wow, great question. I told everyone to unite, and everyone is blindly following me, but I have absolutely nothing specific to do nor any experience in leading people or making decisions. Hmm, that sounds like someone, but WHOM? (heh heh low dig)

Evil Genius, you were a band geek too? I knew I liked you!

11. Ren Maddox says:

There are apparently some Linux-based Live-CDs that provide functionality similar to, if not quite as convenient as, Apple’s Target Disk Mode.

Ren Maddox’s last blog post..Comparing Obama and McCain Tax Plans: A Different View

Ren, Not sure I know what “Live-CD” means, but I have several Linux boot cd’s and floppies that allow me to get to bash prompt and change windows passwords, mount the NTFS drive and copy stuff over to USB media. Mine isn’t GUI, but there probably are some that are.

13. metalmom says:

Babygirl goes to a very large HS and it is a point of pride that 85% of the entire student body is in the marching band…(no lie!)

I usually hate cats but the one with the lantern on its head cracked me up!!!

metalmom’s last blog post..Banging and Rutting

Yes, Wayne, basically the same thing you describe but apparently some also allow connecting the system to another system as an external drive.

15. Raganator says:

Great cats!

Love the why did you invent dogs one… very clever!

I am not a joiner.
    However, the band sounds fantastic!
    I loves me some good LOL cats….
    🙂

Sybil Law’s last blog post..Blow Jobs for Duke Employees

17. Winter says:

GAH! I must get me one of those adapters! The inside of my desktop has 2 SATAs and an IDE… two of which won’t boot thanks to Windows. Grr.

Winter’s last blog post..Quick N’ Hot