September
2008
7:49 am

Let me state for the record that I have no concrete idea what the “Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008” is about.  I’ve heard “bailout” and “fat cat severence” and “where’s the responsibility?” and a number of things that attempt to summarize it.  But I haven’t read exactly how the Senate crafted a way to spend $700B and I’m nowhere near informed enough to really understand whether it’s needed or not.

However, I do know one thing.  It didn’t pass the House.  And the dow lost 777 points in one day.  Ok, that’s two things.

How close was it?  Well it was 228 to 205 (with 1 not voting).  That seems pretty darned close if you ask me.

So I wondered how my state (Texas) did.  Congress.org has a neat rollover US map where you can see, by color, which states had a majority Yea (green) and a majority Nea (red)

What I find interesting is that it was so close…. but only 15 states had a majority say “yea” and of course, that includes New York and California.  It struck me as odd at first that 15 states can make it so close, but then I realized that the red states just mean a majority, and that could be something like a 5-6 split.

Has anyone heard sensible talk about this bill anywhere?  So far I’ve only heard threats (Bush), complaints about it (talk radio), arrogance and condescension against people who are against the bill (other talk radio), but no straight talk.

I don’t expect a lot of comments on this blog post because A) it’s political, B) it’s 70% less funny than most of my blog posts and C) it uses a lot of weird numbers like “70%”.  Not only that, it has bad grammar.

But why not just do a quick comment and let me know what YOU think – as simple as…. hey I got an idea!  How about another poll!

Whatchu know about House Bill 674?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ooh, I should add an ‘undecided’ entry to the poll. Not sure if I can do that from my phone.

2. Miss Britt says:

I’m having a really hard time finding information on this that I can trust.

I have heard that we are DOOMED if something doesn’t pass – but I don’t know what DOOMED means in this case.

The one thing I’ve heard for sure that sounds fairly credible is that no one will be able to get a loan because banks or cash poor and don’t meet the requirements necessary to continue offering loans.

I’m not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing. *sigh*

Miss Britt´s last blog post..Debating: Road Trips and Medical Ethics

3. Alex says:

Pencil in vote: I’m in the same boat as you. I too have been looking for some ‘straight-talk’ about this bill, but can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Let me know if you find something.

Alex´s last blog post..Random Randomness #1

4. Ben says:

I definitely missed the ‘undecided’ option in the poll. Seems like no one has really had enough time to really understand this bill (including Congress :-). I heard there’s a proposal to put bills online for at least 24 hours before they can be voted upon.

One thing I’m glad about: apparently, this was defeated by both democrats and republicans. Would have sucked if this was defeated merely over party politics (without considering it’s merit).

Ben´s last blog post..Bad day, good night …

When’s the last time that a rushed piece of legislation turned out to be a good thing?

I think the companies should be bailed out but the executives who ran their companies so poorly, even knowing how big of an impact they would have on the global economy, should be fired without severance.

Avitable´s last blog post..I hate people

7. Allyson says:

I think I’m pretty well informed, butI’m still pretty undecided. Pete heard a suggestion on talk radio that I thought was a pretty good one. He (the talk radio guy) pointed out that the proposed $700B was about equivilant to giving every adult 18 and over $250,000. Talk about an economic stimulous package! The way I see it, the people who are about to lose their homes would be able to pay off their mortgages, and people like me would be able to clean up their credit, and still would be able to make the big purchases, or investments that would put our economy back to rights. Anybody with me?

Allyson´s last blog post..Advice?

What Avitable said.
    I just hope the execs don’t get off with their insane packages, because I am pretty sure every American is sick of that crap. I hope some of them go to jail.

Sybil Law´s last blog post..Lovey Munsters

I think the economy would benefit from a bill that gave me personally $250,000. In fact, I know it would because if I had that much money I would be able to sell this house and buy a condo in the Denver area, move in with my husband who could help with childcare, and get a job that would pay enough that I could spend a little money on frivolous things on a regular basis. I want a bill that includes that.

As for this other bailout they keep talking about, I have no idea if this would be good for the economy or not but they are talking about so much money that you’d think they could give us a straight answer for exactly how it’s going to be used.

marilyn´s last blog post..Ruby Tuesday: Red Eyes

10. Cap says:

I swore I wasn’t going to talk about this anymore. It has me literally sick to my stomach. All I really want to know is where they came up with the number 700 billion. How did they do that math? Everyone broke this … and I don’t see the sense in giving those same people a blank check (essentially) to fix it. If every single person in Congress resigned, if we had new reps and Senators and a completely accountable oversight committee, I would feel more comfortable.

Cap´s last blog post..Tuesday is the new Friday

whall, why thank you for that! That’s an AWESOME idea.

Miss Britt, yeah, and I don’t know what “WE” means in this case either. Maybe it’s a little better that people learn (even the hard way) that working off of credit so much isn’t such a good deal.

Alex, It’d be nice if they did what Ben proposed below – require at least 24 hours for review. I can’t believe it’s not a law already!

Ben, I’m starting to respect the Republican House leadership more and more – and beginning to suspect that Pelosi and the democrats wanted something for the next administration to be able to blame… something pre-2009.

Ren, right! If we have to have a mandatory period to buy a gun, shouldn’t we at least have the same for our laws? I’d say an improper law is way more dangerous than a gun.

Avitable, and Congress too

Allyson, then the race would be who could buy gold the fastest…

Sybil Law, I’ll drink to that

marilyn, hey all you need to do is be a congressman!

Cap didn’t you know? I don’t allow swearing… 🙂 Your comment is inspiring me to post a little email thing I got today from an Uncle about who’s responsible and what taxpayers should do about it. think think think.

12. Nobody™ says:

My neighbor lived through the depression (although she was very young at the time) and she’s terrified of what will happen without the bailout. I think we probably need to do something, but I have no idea if this bill was what’s needed or not. I’m pretty sure there is no “right” answer as to what needs to be done. Personally, I saw do whatever Warren Buffet says to do. He seems to understand this crap, has anyone asked him what we should do?

13. dmarks says:

I was walking around the White House and Capitol when the meetings and votes were going on. I wonder who was the lazy bum who did not bother to vote?

Ren has a good point. Nothing rushed sounds like it’s going to be good. Reactive, nor proactive is the direction this is going.

I would rather see another option, even though we really don’t have time to explore other options.

If there is a bailout, then I would also like to see some checks and balances put in the system to help avoid future bailouts.

martymankins´s last blog post..Scooter Sunday #24