This series has gone from weekly to weakly. I’m thinking maybe Nintendo should buy it from me and make it Wiikly.

Sign of the political times

Listening to the news today, I heard tell of everyday citizens having the little political signs they put out in their yard damaged, broken, vandalized, and stolen.

My first reaction was shock — primarily because I still expect people to be civil.  I love disagreement and conflict (hint: it’s how we grow), but when it escalates to property damage, that’s beyond sad; it makes me mad.

One story was about a woman here in Austin who had her Obama/Biden signs stolen and decided to spray-paint her lawn with a custom sign.

Another caller lamented how one morning he went outside and found his McCain/Palin signs vandalized, torn up and kind-of left as a “oh yeah?!?!?” message.

More and more stories popped up with McCain/Palin signs being damaged and Obama signs going missing.  Who am I sharing my city with?  A bunch of vandals and thieves?

Then I started thinking… hmm, the Obama signs aren’t being damaged like the McCain ones are.  The Obama lawn signs are just going missing.  Isn’t that a bit weird?

And then I got it!  It’s not Obama haters that are taking the signs at all!  It must be other Obama supporters!

Yeah!  The democrats are so confident that they’ll win next week that they’re starting early on their ideology of taking from those who have and giving it to those who don’t.

I’m hoping the lady’s own words will be reviewed in her own mind, and apply the same mentality to other things in life, like, oh, I don’t know…. taxation, maybe?

They might think it’s extreme, but I think it’s extreme to come into my yard and take something that belongs to me, so I wanted to express myself.

Technical fun

I’m on vacation from work this week.  This means I’m helping some friends with some technical projects that I’ve having a ton of fun with.  For me, fun usually means gadgets, fiddling with new systems, or learning something new with software.

Here are some of the things I’ve been playing with:

Macintosh

I’m a PC.  I’m a Unix.  I’m a toaster.  Whatever.  But the last time I was a Mac, it was late 80’s and early 90’s with a Mac IIc, a IISE, IIcx and the like.  I thought that this time around, my getting used to the mac with it’s unix base would be easy.  However, some of the things I took for granted with my decades with a PC/Unix system have created frustration with working with the Mac.

I am borrowing a MacBook Pro that’s definitely a sweet machine.  Leopard 10.5.3.  4GB ram.  2.6Ghz dual core.  I have some specific things to hammer out, like pointing Time Machine over a network.

But the things that are slowing me down are things related to efficiency.  I’m a keyboard person.  I don’t like using the mouse unless I have to, so the lack of a built-in right-click mouse button is insane for me.  I don’t know how to lock the screen fast (like windows+L) when I want to walk away.  How do I run an app from the keyboard?  How can I browse or search my files?  The mouse just slows me down for most of the things I do all day.

I want to be able to do everything with the keyboard, and I’m having trouble making the time to learn it all.  Oh, and where’s the page-down key?  ARGH.

I’m not expecting the mac to be a windows box – but I do want to know how to do the things Mac-style.  So that’s something I’m working on.  Marty and Dave have been answering my probably-annoying tweets and that’s helpful.

zeroshell

I got to know zeroshell some – it’s an all-in-one open source appliance that does DNS, DHCP, LDAP, RADIUS, VPN, firewall, QoS, vlan routing, Wireless integration, load balancing, HTTP Proxy, certificates and Kerberos.  I set up two of them on a network for redundancy and I’m really liking the web-admin console for DNS.

I have it running in a virtual environment – it’s literally a fully functioning operating system on a CD.  I just mount the ISO file in VMWare ESXi (also free), tell it to boot from it, give it some disk space to use, and it just works.  Very lightweight, very usable.  Sure, it’s beta but still.

FreeNAS

Another open source tool I’m playing with in a virtual environment is FreeNAS – a network attached storage appliance.   The idea is that you can bring up a virtual machine with a lot of disk space, and it can service files to all your computers in whatever format you want – Windows-style SMB/CIFS, Apple-style AFP, NFS, FTP, RSYNC, iSCSI and others.  I still don’t have it working with Time Machine, but I do have it working with the macintoshes as a storage device.

Evidently there’s a tweak for the Mac called the Flux Capacitor that allows the mac to see non-local hard drives as Time Machine backup targets, but it’s not working for me yet.  That’s another thing that bugged me about the Mac.  It seemed that it was just a simple command-line, but I had to download a 400KB “application” that ran that one-liner for me?  or am I misunderstanding the app?

Best of LOLcats

1. Nobody™ says:

Those crazy Obama fans..

Speaking of Toasters, I actually saw one for sale at University Surplus. It’s tempting, but I don’t have the Amiga to go along with it. I always wanted a Toaster.

2. I’ve only recently learned the greatness that is the LOLcats. Now I just don’t know what I’d do without them. ::tear::

Sheila (Charm School Reject)´s last blog post..Would You Call Me A Hooker To My Face?

3. Oh! And that lady from Austin better keep a better eye on her yard – we wouldn’t want some crazy Republican to come and mow her yard, now would we? Nooooo. Uh uh. Leave that pretty Obama sign alone.

4. Raganator says:

Woo Hoo Cats!

Hope you are having a great week off!

Bet you’ll be at band stuff soon!

5. Hahaha….love the irony in her statement!

And those were awesome LOL Cats!

6. sourpuss says:

There were some really good LOLcats this week but I think the best was the dog whistle one. Everything about it was just spot-on for that captioning.

This election has turned people positively rabid…
    LOVE the LOLcats this week! You do pick the best!

Sybil Law´s last blog post..Mmmm… Spam

8. Gary Sims says:

FreeNAS is a great bit of software and works well with OS X as a general file server and not just with time machine. You can get more information about FreeNAS at http://www.freenas.org and http://www.learnfreenas.com
    Thanks, Gary

Gary Sims´s last blog post..Linux.com have published an excerpt from my book

Actually. On my ride home there is an Obama sign in front of a yard that has a white circle with a cross through it, like the no smoking sign. Funny thing is the yard I see before it has a perfectly clean McCain sign.

10. Faiqa says:

Wow. I can’t believe you figured out “our” devious plan. You know what we’re going to do with all those stolen Obama signs? Set them on fire in the middle of a national forest and blame the conservatives for the environmental disasters that ensue. Because, we’re *organized* like that.

Faiqa´s last blog post..Barack, Bill, Britt and Me

11. Dragon Baby says:

Stealing signs is nothing compared to some of the stuff that went on here in Canada for it’s election this month. If you had a certain kind of sign on your lawn, you ran the risk of having your phone lines cut, cars keyed and in a few instances, your brake lines cut in your car. Thankfully this only happened in one city but how scary is that!

Almost as scary as watching that last little kittie get eaten by the dog. 🙂

Dragon Baby´s last blog post..Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, Prosciutto and Black Olive Pizza with Béchamel Sauce

12. Evil Genius says:

I’m a PC, and I love LOL cats. 🙂

And I also hate the level that people will stoop to. Vandalism and theft is hardly a way to make a statement. Unless the statement you want to make is that you’re an uneducated low-life who knows of no other way to communicate.

Evil Genius´s last blog post..‘Cause Sometimes Medical Stuff Can Be Funny!

13. kapgar says:

Painting it on the lawn… never would’ve thought of that. Brilliant.

kapgar´s last blog post..I’m half the man I used to be…

Yay for LOL cats. I missed dem. Probably says something about my intelligence level.

I like the not get eated one.

marilyn´s last blog post..More Randomness

15. Winter says:

A former colleague had a problem with his computer at work and called me for some advice this week. I told him to transfer the data he wanted to save off the machine and reload XP. Then I directed him to your Stuff you don’t want to MISC with the nifty little $30 USB doo dad that I haven’t bought yet but will. He was mightily impressed. Thank you Wayne for that post! And thanks to Marty for his comment on it. They impressed my former co-worker who saved his accounting data and has since reloaded XP to fix his issues.

Winter´s last blog post..Vindicated

Glad I could help with some of the Mac learning curve. It’s what us Mac folk do.

And I liked the “be this tall to get eatin” LOLcat photo. Funny.

As for the lawn signs, we have both McCain and Obama lawn signs stolen here in Utah. It’s nastyness on both sides, as far as lawn sign respect goes.

martymankins´s last blog post..We Can Work It Out

My favorite is the one with the bird.
    “Sorry u must be dis tall
    to not git eated”.
    LOL.
    I said that to a french fry just the other day.

Comment: