November
2008
1:56 pm

It’s late.  You’re outside, alone save a stray wind rustling the trees and tall weeds.  The new moon hides invisibly while it looks down upon your situation, ambivalent to your needs, desires, and wishes.  You wonder for a second if the moon could grant wishes if it cared enough to understand us inconsequential humans, but then a remote sound grabs your attention.

Your ears feel alive, catching what it can, imperceptably stretching wide to enable additional sounds to come in for processing.  That sound, right there!  Was it a cautious footstep taken by a silent attacker?  Or was it just a few leaves being scattered by a vagrant breeze…?  Closing your eyes, your senses awaken more than ever before as you integrate with nature, feeling Earth’s heartbeat around you, melding with the energy and vitality of your surroundings.  You can almost detect each of the organisms in the soil under your feet, from beetles and earthworms to the spiders and scorpions who prey upon them.  The thought of this natural predator role quickly shifts your mind back into focus, and you redouble your attempts to perceive the source of the aural anomaly.

What could all this mean?

The family decided it’s high time we made ourselves a fire pit.

You may have seen it in a few of my DITL‘s.  And now that it’s getting colder in Texas (finally!), I predict we’ll be using it a lot.

Anyone wanna come over for some ‘smores?

Are the marshmallows vegetarian?

Must not be *too* late if the new moon is looking down on you…

Oh, and it’s “s’mores”.

(cf. http://www.utterli.com/u/utt/u-ODAyNjA5Mw#utt-ODAyNjA5Mw)

Seriously, though, I look forward to my next opportunity to enjoy your fire pit.

Ren´s last blog post..Teaching Organization to Kids

3. Hilly says:

We had a fire pit when we lived in Arizona and man do I miss it. I loved sitting outdoors and having totally calm moments just staring at the fire.

Hilly´s last blog post..Found Your Writing On My Wall…

4. Gino says:

through some TX size steaks on that thing instead, and save the smores for the kids.

5. Gino says:

throw some TX size steaks on that thing and save the smores for the kids.

6. kapgar says:

I’ll even bring chocolate from Graham’s, Geneva’s finest chocolatier (don’t worry about the fact that it’s Geneva’s only chocolatier).

kapgar´s last blog post..Who cut off their tails with a carving knife…

Oh yum. Actually, I hate smores.
    But I do loves me a fire.
    Your firepit is gorgeous.

Sybil Law´s last blog post..Avitaween, 2008

We live in the middle of the woods, we have a real fire pit.

9. Giggle Pixie says:

I don’t think I can make it to Texas, but I’ll give you my address and you can mail me my s’mores. Ha!!!!

Giggle Pixie´s last blog post..The Cutest Little Lemonade Award

10. Dragon Baby says:

I’d love me some s’mores. When can I come over?

Dragon Baby´s last blog post..Cheesecake Pops

11. Amanda says:

save me a seat

Amanda´s last blog post..The theory of evolution

That pit is cool…. I’ve liked it since you first showed it in your DITLs

martymankins´s last blog post..WORKOUT – The Numbers – Part 2