January
2009
10:48 am

Today, an African American man will move from his private residence into a much larger and infinitely more expensive one owned not by him but by the taxpayers. A vast lawn, a perimeter fence and many well trained security specialists will insulate him from the rest of us but the mere fact that this man will be residing in this house should make us all stop and count our blessings – because it proves that we live in a nation where anything is possible.

Many believed this day would never come. Most of us hoped and prayed that it would, but few of us actually believed we would live to see it. Racism is an ugly thing in all of it’s forms and there is little doubt that if this man had moved into this house fifteen years ago, there would have been a great outcry – possibly even rioting in the streets. Today, we can all be both grateful and proud that no such mayhem will take place when this man takes up residency in this house.

This man, moving into this house at this time in our nation’s history is much more than a simple change of addresses for him – it is proof of a change in our attitude as a nation. It is an amends of sorts – the righting of a great wrong. It is a symbol of our growth, and of our willingness to “judge a man, not by the color of his skin but by the content of his character.”

There can be little doubt now that the vast majority of us truly believe that this man has earned both his place in history and his new address. His time in this house will not be easy – it will be fraught with danger and he will face many challenges. I am sure there will be many times when he asks himself how in the world he ended up here and like all who have gone before him, the experience will age him greatly.

But I for one will not waste an ounce of worry for his sake – because in every way a man can, he asked for this. His whole life for the past fifteen years appears to have been inexorably leading this man toward this house. It is highly probable that in the past, despite all of his actions, racism would have kept this man out of this house. Today, I thank the lord above that I am an American and that I live in a nation where wrongs are righted, where justice matters and where truly anything is possible.

Oh, wait.  Did you think I was describing someone else?

Sorry.

Ok… I admit, that was pretty funny. And in this one man and where he’s going, we agree 100%.

martymankins´s last blog post..Snowy Sunday #10

2. Nick Danger says:

You can claim all you want this isn’t racist but you cannot deny this was tasteless and humorless.

• whall says:

Nick Danger – yes, I deny it. I don’t think it’s tasteless and humorless at all.

Racism is finally dying, in more ways than one. I for one can’t wait to have not anyone care what color the President is. I think I quoted on another blog article before: The end of racism comes when a black candidate runs for President and no-one notices. This piece of humor pokes fun that OJ Simpson’s “support” was largely race-based.

How shameful is it that someone (supports or degrades) someone else not by their actions, but by their race? It goes both ways – racism isn’t just the NEGATIVE actions towards someone based on race. It’s DIFFERENT action.

I’m sick of hyphenated-Americans. You’re either American or you’re not. (not that being non-American is a bad thing; but it is a distinction). The class or heritage or race of a person should not put them in a different class or status as an American. Heritage is fine and should be exalted in one’s personal life, but to have one’s identity as a member of the country altered and refined by a label just furthers the racism, in my opinion.

If someone is proud of being an African-American or an Asian-American, then they shouldn’t scoff at someone if they call themselves a Rich-American.

• Nick Danger says:

You know? Screw it. I started a long reply but really your time line is incorrect (see http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,477453,00.html) and your follow up is so full of argumentative fallacies I don’t even know where to begin. You posted a shock humor joke and are now pretending it is great a statement.

• whall says:

Nick – the post stands as a jab. a joke. Poking fun at how someone can write up about race being a factor. Well, race *was* a factor with OJ. We laud the removal of race as a factor when it comes to earning the Presidency; this pokes fun at the removal of race as a factor when it comes to a convict.

My reply went into more non-humorous details because you accused the post (and by extension, me) of being racist (at least, that’s what I got from your comment; I could be mistaken at what you were referring to with the pronoun “this”).

• Raganator says:

I applaud both of your rebuttals.. I think once Nick takes a step back (sobers up, whatever) he’ll respond differntly.

If he doesn’t that’s one opinion (overruled by most of us) and you handled things perfectly.!

3. Raganator says:

chuckle chuckle

I thought it was hilarious, but not original, since I got that exact email from my grandfather about four or five days ago.

Avitable´s last blog post..Avitaweek 2009: Obama’s Inauguration Speech!

• whall says:

Avitable – yes, I thought I put in there that I received this in the email. I changed it a little bit, added some emphasis, etc, but yes, NOT a Wayne original.

Nick Danger, is your middle name “Overreactor”?

I am a liberal and an Obama supporter and I found that joke funny. There was nothing hateful in it. Calm down.

Avitable´s last blog post..Avitaweek 2009: Obama’s Inauguration Speech!

6. Tony says:

You got me!!!
    I read that and as I was scrolling down I kept thinking “Wow, this is really surprising coming from Wayne. I am pleasantly surprised.” Then BAM!!!

I should have boosted your “I am Proud of President Bush” sign from MP like I planned before I left.

Anyway, that was pretty good. I moved to Dallas and am now working at Cisco in Richardson.

7. Giggle Pixie says:

I thought it was funny!

Giggle Pixie´s last blog post..Tag! I’m It!

8. Dragon Baby says:

Clever boy. 🙂

Dragon Baby´s last blog post..Chicken, Mushroom, Leek and Rice Soup

9. Faiqa says:

WHAT? You didn’t write this? This was an e-mail? Where is the citation? Does this mean that (gasp) you plagiarized?

Faiqa´s last blog post..Finding Johnny Castle