This used to be a Sunday thing, but this past year it’s been mostly a “whenever” thing. I’m going to try to put some structure back in.  Being late is also a common thread with me, so the structure I put back in is to be late this week by doing it on Monday.

Blog Strategy Rethink

I uttered recently how I think I’m going to drop the political posts from ye old personal blog of whall.

I know some people have stopped visiting here because we’re so incompatible from a political standpoint, and that bothers me.  A lot, actually.  I don’t feel like I’m hateful or even unfair in my writings, but for some, my viewpoint alone is enough to shun some of the readers.  And while I don’t want to be restricted in what I can write, I also don’t want to alienate people when it can be avoided easily enough.

It’s not just the dropped readers or the perceived backlash that’s having me take action, however.  Ceiling Cat knows that I’ve had my share of the poopooing of LOLcat presence here on the blog, and they’re not going anywhere anytime soon.

Part of is that when I start writing politically, it’s hard to stop.  When I get on a roll, I want to write, write, write.  If I didn’t have the forethought to stop myself, I’d have a run of posts all pointing out this travesty, that issue, blah blah blah and I’d be remembered as the blog that went to washington or something.

I don’t mind being known as “the Republican with LOLcats” or something whimsical like that, but I don’t want to be known as the “anti-Obama crazy LOLcat lady” and I don’t want people hating me.  At least not on whall.org.

So from this point forward, I’m not going to be doing any political-themed posts on this blog.  I will probably continue the political utterz, but that’s only an entry in the sidebar.  There is an outlet somewhere for me, I know and I’d rather people hate me there instead of here.

As some of the replies of my utter have pointed out, it’s about the goal of my blog.  The age-old question of “who do you blog for? yourself? or your readers?” rears it’s head.  I’m not one to just shut up because there’s a disagreement, but the goal of this particular blog is to be a fun place.  I don’t want it to be a political debate any more.  I don’t want to foster an argument.  At least, not here.

So I’m going to go find a home for my political writing elsewhere.  I’ll probably add a comment to this post with where I land.

Heroes

I decided to give the TV show Heroes a try, and have burned through the first four episodes.

The verdict?  My 14yr old daughter and I like it a lot.  The wife… eh, not so much.  The only minor problem now is finding times that the daughter and I can actually watch TV together.  Our schedules are pretty varied, and it’s not often that we can just sit and partake of the television.

We received the initial discs from Blockbuster Online (Disc 1 and Disc 2) and now I’m trying to decide if we want to get the rest via BB Online, just rent them at Blockbuster as some of the free ones we get when we return other discs, or if I should just watch the episodes online separate from my daughter, and we go our separate ways on this show.

My “favorite” character so far is the mind-reading cop.  However, my favorite power would be the time-space continuum one, manifested by Hiro.

If you watch, do you have a favorite character? (please, no spoilers!  I just started season one).

Best of LOLcats

What brings hoomans together and haz us singing 2geffer more than political differences?  LOLcats!  And because I haven’t included them in so long, I give an extra long dose!

You’re reasonable, not at all hateful, and open-minded. Anyone who would stop reading you because your political viewpoint is different than theirs is the one with problems, not you.

Avitable´s last blog post..Avitaweek 2009: It’s over, finally!

• whall says:

Avitable — yeah, I see what you’re saying. I’m stepping in what you’re smelling. I’m picking up what you’re dropping down. But still, I can easily take my potentially divisive writing somewhere else, and I can let loose there better than I can here. Maybe “can” is the wrong word but you probably know what I mean.

I think LOLCats loses you more readers than politics!

As I replied in your Utterli/Utterz post, I don’t mind your political writings at all… even though we disagree on things often. But some people don’t like to be challenged in their political thinking, so I can see how excessive political talk here might lose readers. You have a lot of other things to offer, so maybe you have the right idea? I dunno. All I do know if that if you choose to move your politics to a different place, I will most likely follow, so you won’t be rid of me that easy!

I loathe “Heroes.” It’s a show about super-powers which rarely has people using super-powers. Unless they’re lame powers… like mirror girl and what-not. Tragic.

Dave2´s last blog post..Goodbye

3. dmarks says:

Dave2 might be onto something. I hate LOLcats. The politics stuff does not bother me.

dmarks´s last blog post..The Tightwad Bank (Odd Town Names)

4. Dragon says:

You could write Satanic Verses and I’d still come here. Don’t you dare get rid of LOLcats.

Dragon´s last blog post..Spinach, Ricotta and Sausage Lasagna

5. Giggle Pixie says:

I still love LOL cats!! And I don’t mind the political stuff. I don’t normally comment just because I don’t like political debate that much. But I wouldn’t leave you because of some political posts. You do whatever you want to do – it’s your blog!! I’ll keep coming back.

Giggle Pixie´s last blog post..Beavers and Ducks, Chickens and Minivans, Oh My!

6. Raganator says:

Woo Hoo Cats.. I was starting to go through withdrawl. I love the hall monitors and the son ones the best.
    And I say you can write whatever you want in your blog and people can choose rather they read it or not. Although, I usually agree with you politically and skip the techie stuff.

The LOLcats is great! (Particularly this week!)
    And yeah – I don’t always agree with you on politics, but certainly wouldn’t stop coming on by – that would be foolish.
    Keep on, keepin’ on, Whall.
    🙂

Sybil Law´s last blog post..1- 26 – 1977

8. Oh noes! I love your politics. The first post I ever read of yours was about politics.

You really are going to have to set up a political blog or something because I have a feeling you are going to have a lot to say over the next four years.

I don’t understand how anyone cannot love LOLcats.

Sheila (Charm School Reject)´s last blog post..I’m Full of Awesome. For Realz.

• whall says:

Sheila – I think I remember when you came by ye old blog of whall, and I recall thinking “wow, someone who agrees with me! on my blog! FINALLY!”. I will figure out where I land and let you know, probably here as a comment. I don’t know yet if I want my own politiblog or be a contributor somewhere else.

9. Jen says:

Welcome to the world of Heroes! It’s a good show and it will be VERY interesting the first seasons…you’ll enjoy! I want to be a HERO!

• whall says:

Jen – it was frustrating last night because we only got Disc 1 and 2 in the mail, so I thought I could go online to nbc.com and watch the rest, but NOOOOO. It appears they only have the current season available online to watch. (I’m new to the “Watch online” thang)

• Jen says:

You can watch all episodes (streaming) from: Cucirca.com
        It’s a good way to catch up since you are just starting out…it’s free, no commecials, and no downloading. Launch it on your second monitor while you are doing blogging or work on the other;)

10. metalmom says:

I don’t always know enough about the topic to comment but that doesn’t mean that I don’t like the political posts. I like to hear the other side of the arguments and sometimes it will cause me to think twice about my own opinions.

* I LOVE the “gates of hell” cats!!`

metalmom´s last blog post..Blago Blah Blah Blah

11. Tug says:

Wow. I don’t comment on political posts, but don’t stop reading blogs because of it. Can take or leave LOL cats. Have never watched heroes. Why am I commenting on this post? ‘Cause I can’t believe anyone not commenting or dropping a blog as varied as yours for something they may not love one post. You’re awesome, you make me laugh…blog for YOU. 😉

Tug´s last blog post..To start a fire…

12. kapgar says:

I say you just skip politics except when it’s time for you to head up the LOLcat in the White House campaign in 2012. 😉

As for Heroes, I enjoyed the first season up until the final five or six episodes. Haven’t watched it since. But Hiro was my fave.

kapgar´s last blog post..Oh baby, it’s cold outside…

13. Miss Britt says:

Whall, this country needs people on both sides to be committed to talking.

Especially if they talk the way you do.

I mean, *I* think you’re wrong on almost everything politically. But you say it in a rational enough way that I think “this guy’s smart. With time, I can probably convince him to see reason.”

And isn’t that what this country is about? 🙂

Miss Britt´s last blog post..With Bated Breath

• whall says:

Miss Britt – I’m glad you haven’t relegated me to the unwashed masses of conservatism yet. I’m totally talkable-to! And I’m glad you notice that. Or is it talk-to-able? Either way, I’m great with the words typed by myself.

You already know we don’t agree on most stuff politics, but yet, I still want to read your opinion and discussions on your political views. I think discourse, even if it’s mostly polar opposites, is good and I would hate to see you change your blog just to appease people that can’t take any opinion that differs from their own.

I know this is a family blog, so I’ll censor my statement here, but f%!* anyone that leaves because they disagree with you. It’s a public blog, you share your opinions and views and if they don’t like those posts, then skip over them. There’s no rule that says you have to comment on each and every post you read.

The main reason I started my blog was to get back into writing more on a regular basis. If you like to write, then write. As the band INXS once said, “Don’t change for you, don’t change a thing for me”

As for Heroes, I had a hard time getting into it about 7 episodes into the first season.

martymankins´s last blog post..Snowy Sunday #11

15. Faiqa says:

I hope you’re not talking about *me*? Because I still read you’re blog. And, really, I’m the one you should be worried about.

I respect your choice regarding not wanting to blog about politics, but I think you’re a much needed perspective. Specifically *because* you are so reasonable and logical. Despite the fact that I mostly disagree with your politics, I can always understand your perspective. That’s the mark of well thought out ideology, IMO. Plus, I need scoop on how “the enemy” reasons. Kidding.

And if we’re voting topics off of the island, I want to vote for LOLcats. They drive me crazy. And not in a good way.

Faiqa´s last blog post..Finding Johnny Castle

16. Faiqa says:

GAH!! “YOU’RE BLOG??” Did I really just do that?!!! @#$!%!!! I’m sorry, I’m going to go perform an honor suicide, now. It was nice knowing you.

Faiqa´s last blog post..Finding Johnny Castle

Thanks to you, I learned to like LOLcats.
    Let’s not mention how our political views are such polar opposites that we might actually be evil alternate universe clones of each other, which would explode and immediately contract into a hideous black hole if we ever actually met in person.

I like the cute LOLcat picture about how confusion looks better sideways.

Janna´s last blog post..Land Of A Thousand Layers