January
2009
7:25 am

This past weekend marked the first police visit to our house, ever.

We’ve been here where we’re at since late 2000, when we initially plopped down the septic tank (no pun intended) and pumped money into the land with a well (no pun intended).  We’re saving up for building the dream house and we still have little planning sessions in the family to discuss this cool feature of the next home, that cool feature, and the like.  I may do a special post about that in particular to solicit comments about what awesome things to put into a new house.

My computer was getting a little attention from me, and the TV was getting it’s normal amount of attention from wife and daughter. Jaden was running around like his normal self.

Then we heard a loud knocking on the door.  It seemed more urgent than the normal knocking, but since I’m right near the front window of the house when I’m at my computer, I peeked out to see who it was.  I glimpsed someone walking off of the deck, and figured it was UPS or Fedex dropping off a package because they frequently do that — they drop the package off, do a quick courtesy knock, and then run off to their next destination.

Jaden also ran to the window next to me and said “hey, the police are here!”.

Jaden likes to joke sometimes, so both Mom and I said “Jaden… you shouldn’t joke about that…” but I looked again and sure enough, I saw two Sheriff cars half-way up our long driveway.

I quickly announced to those who cared “Whoa, there ARE police out there!” and got up to get the door.  I opened it up and a Deputy was standing just outside, over to my right in that stance you see on TV where they are cautiously monitoring the situation, hand on holster, ready for anything.

You know the usual way people respond to a surprise police presence.  “Anything wrong, officer?” or “what seems to be the problem, officer?”  Yup, that’s what I did.

The officer explained that they received a 911 hangup call and when they tried to call us back, they received a fast busy signal.  Then he was pretty urgent about wanting to come in and check things out.

I said “sure, sure, come in!” and as we found out after a bit of not-surprising investigation, Jaden had dialed 911 while playing with the phone.  He also dialed 5 of the digits of my cell phone and then lost interest, leaving the phone on-hook while half-way dialed.

The Deputy saw wife and daughter in the living room watching TV, and saw Jaden and the look on his face.  We of course explained to him how important it was to not dial 911 unless it was an emergency.

We had some light banter with the Deputies — one was named J Hall, so we commented on that.  They both loved our dogs.  They each commented on how they didn’t know this land was back here, and it must be nice to be so close to civilization yet completely isolated from neighbors, and we expressed how blessed we felt we were to be here.

It was a positive experience overall, and I was glad to finally meet our local Men In Brown.

Looking back on my life, I can’t recall any incidents where I’ve had a bad experience with the police.  I hope most people also have had similar experiences.  Is that as normal as I hope it is?

1. my dad was a cop so i love the police. too many stories to share since i don’t want to guest post in your comments, but i have always had good experiences with them (even when they should have been meaner).

hello haha narf´s last blog post..Sucking At The Daily Thing

The only time I remember cops coming to the door was 6 years ago here at my wife’s house. She wasn’t feeling well, we heard a crash in the back window. Long story short, her drunk neighbor busted the window and called the cops on himself. They came out, investigated and hauled Mr. Drunk Rage away.

Sounds like Jaden knows not to dial random numbers on the phone anymore.

martymankins´s last blog post..You Had Me At Instant Watch

Was Jaden mouthing “help me” to the police as they left? He could be trying to escape…

Dave2´s last blog post..Goodbye

Dave2 – Well, he had prepared this poster board that said “One of my parents is a conservative” but I found it before I opened the door for the deputy and made sure it was well hidden.

Just like in every profession, there are bad cops and good cops. Experiences with the good ones are always pleasant. As someone who’s gotten pulled over for speeding once or twice or a million times in my life, I’ve also had plenty of bad experiences.

Avitable´s last blog post..Crackling and crispy

6. Faiqa says:

I’ve always had very pleasant experiences with law enforcement. They’re always kind enough to handcuff me after the neighbors have gone back in the house. I’ve always appreciated that.

Faiqa´s last blog post..Finding Johnny Castle

• whall says:

Faiqa – “nuttin’ ta see here, folks, only a beautiful lady being whisked away in my handcuffs… go back about your business, folks, no sense in ogling your eyes out”

7. Dragon says:

Good thing they didn’t check out in back shed where you keep the bodies. 🙂

Dragon´s last blog post..Mocha Caramel Brownies

8. Giggle Pixie says:

My uncle was a sheriff in Michigan when I was growing up, then I married a cop (first hubby) and worked for law enforcement myself for over 25 years. I cannot speak highly enough about the men in blue/brown and all that they do for us.

Giggle Pixie´s last blog post..The Best Home Security I Can…Afford

I have a few friends who are sheriffs, so I obviously like most cops.
    That said, I also personally know some with the typical power trip headthing going on – and they are jerks. Not to me, but I can see how they would be. Then again, since I have those cop friends, I know about the daily BS they have to deal with, so I know how hard their job is, too.
    I am a rambling idiot today. Don’t mind me!
    Cops = good.
    Mongo like candy.
    🙂

Sybil Law´s last blog post..Seven

• whall says:

Sybil Law – Truer words were never spoken. And that cop stuff was good too (seriously, I laughed out loud at my desk, calling attention to me. Wait a second. OHHH. That’s what LOL means.)

10. Allyson says:

I’ve had many experiences with the police. Some good, some bad. But I remember when I was younger (12?) I dialed 911 for fun, and then got yelled at by the officer that showed up telling me that 911 was not supposed to be a fun number to dial. I’m pretty sure 911 was pretty new then, and we were bored.

Allyson´s last blog post..Life is too busy for blogging.

11. Gino says:

good times, bad times… i’ve had my share of cop times.
    sometimes i was guilty. other times, not so much.

Gino´s last blog post..Can’t Make This Up

• whall says:

Gino – while I’m sure the “not so much” stories are riveting, I think I speak for all of America that we’d prefer to hear about the bad times.

12. I am lol’ing. Ive had one run in with a traffic cop. Then one when I had that guy come into my store. They were very kind throughout it all but where I am from they dont follow through so well.

13. Amanda says:

Apparently my mom used my laptop the above comment is me 😛

Amanda´s last blog post..The Election of Obama

14. Hahaha! That confused me for a minute. Jaden is hilarious!! I can just see the look on his face when the police came in. I think the worst thing I did phone-wise as a kid was crank call my grandma and hang up on her. 🙂

BlondeBlogger´s last blog post..Mini Melt-Down

I’ve had lots of experience with the local police (neighborhood stuff) but it has all been positive. We have great officers here too and they are really quick to respond, even when I’m not sure it’s important.

I heard a gunshot one night and three cars were here in what seemed like less than a minute. We thought a former neighbor might be beating his wife and they responded very quickly. I still don’t know what was happening but the wife never forgave us for making the call. And I was home when the renters next door were busted for drugs (the new renters are very nice and not blocking our drive for “business”). I only have good things to say about them. They keep us safe.

marilyn´s last blog post..Let’s Help Andy Sell Real Estate

16. Nat says:

There are many many cop stories, most of them good. Some of them a bit eerie. And one that involves my scantily clad rear. All in all, I like cops.

Nat´s last blog post..Now everyone play nice…

Comment: