I had mentioned that I’ll be mostly staying away from politics on my blog.  But that doesn’t mean we can’t have whallitics!

But first, a tip of the hat to Dawg for introducing me to Toonlet.  I decided to take this mornings political tweetfest between Dave2 and I and make it fun, enlightening, and easy to read, even for kids!

I figure it’s like this – Dave2 can draw.  Like, awesome-like.  It’s like he’s an artist or something.  So I have to use technology to even the field.  It actually comes out pretty fair – he has the artistic talent, and I have the brains.

(yes, I know it’s hard to read when it’s resized to fit my blog – so click on it to read it in it’s glory.  In fact, you can just click on the first one to launch the clip in another browser, and just click on the arrow on the right to go to the next frames)

Ain’t nobody can argue with “So’s your face.”

But you forgot a couple of very important tweets… the one where I respond to @hellohahanarf and say I agree with your base premise, but want a solution that isn’t going to cause bigger problems… and the one where I respond to @martymankins and say that the reason you confuse people because you’re like FOX News but with common sense added.

The cartoon doesn’t make much sense in spots without them. Unless I am so brilliant that you need to intentionally edit out my parts of the conversation to appear smarter. Hmmm… that actually make MORE sense!

Dave2´s last blog post..Silence

• whall says:

Dave2 = heh, you know what? I didn’t even see those tweets until later. One of my tweet tools doesn’t consider @whall in the middle of a tweet as a reply, and the other (tweetdeck) does. Also, tweetdeck takes a LOT longer sometimes to put those mid-replies in my Replies column.

The “So’s your Face” tweet really was just a random comeback of mine, intentionally late and baseless, as a last-ditch effort to make a point.

• Faiqa says:

I hate immigrants. Especially when they ground their kids for staying out too late, getting drunk before the SATs and stealing their car keys from them. God, I wish somebody had deported my parents when I was growing up.

Also, I was way too distracted by the OBVIOUSLY inaccurate depiction of the strikingly handsome Dave2. Who is that supposed to be? Rodney Dangerfield?

Faiqa´s last blog post..Zombie Chickens and Princess Substitutions

Ha!
    I likey.
    And a simple, “So?”, is also a good ploy. I mean, you can’t argue with someone who keeps saying, “so”.

Sybil Law´s last blog post..WTF?!

But getting back on point. I actually DO agree with you that it’s not fair that illegal immigrants are taking jobs from US citizens (they are breaking the law, after all), but question a number of things when it comes to the “6 million jobs stolen” number. And, as I said, having 6 million jobless people suddenly appear with no means of support and no rational way of deporting such huge numbers is an invitation to survival-necessitated crime and violence at a mind-blowing scale. It’s easy to say “Illegal Immigrants should be stripped of their jobs so US citizens can find work,” but it’s what comes AFTER that superficial analysis that’s the big question. If you don’t have a measured answer for consequences, then it’s just rhetoric to incite people to be angry. We have more than enough of that, and it isn’t solving anything.

And I have to take issue with the way you automatically dismiss any comparative discourse that mentions former President Bush. You can’t forget that the Bush Administration ever existed (much as I’d like to)… as his actions in office have direct correlation to current events. By screaming “NOT VALID” every time, it’s just an excuse not to answer the question. Obama prioritizing amnesty during a recession being a bad thing assumes that YOUR position of providing amnesty being disastrous to an embattled economy. Not everybody believes this to be true. Illegal workers are, in many cases, grossly underpaid and hired solely because they are cheap labor. There is no guarantee that all these same jobs would still be available if forced to be filled by minimum wage workers. It is also believed that awarding amnesty levels the workforce playing field AND, shocker, FORCES FORMER ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TO PAY TAXES! This is a gross simplification, of course, but it illustrates that you BELIEVE Obama to be wrong, not that it is an absolute. In this perspective, my reply is absolutely valid. Especially since there is a real argument that can be made on how banning same-sex marriage and banning stem-cell research has far-reaching negative impact on the economy. Bush was prioritizing his conscience over the economy. Obama is doing the same dang thing. You can disagree with it, but don’t think for a minute that it’s in any way different because of how you feel about it.

Besides, I find it vastly amusing how Conservatives were more than happy to use their belief that Clinton was a bad president to prop up THEIR arguments for Bush, yet cry foul when Bush is used in the same capacity for Obama. Valid? No. But, then again, I am easily amused. 🙂

Dave2´s last blog post..Silence

Uhhh… what?

Dave2´s last blog post..Silence

• whall says:

Dave2 – first of all, thank you for composing a full response on this – I appreciate the time.

Regarding the “jobs stolen” and “sudden jobless” track, I definitely don’t abdicate any sudden massive moves like deportation or stripping people of jobs. I’m not even the one crying out “jobs stolen” – I’m merely pointing out the numbers of 6 million illegals holding jobs that 7 million Americans could have. First, what’s important about those numbers is that it specifically counting construction, manufacturing and service jobs held by illegals, and specifically only counting unemployed American works who have no more than a high school education. These numbers, I believe, are a fair apples-to-apples comparison. Total unemployed is 13 million by comparison; total illegal immigrants is unknown, but estimated to be 12-20 million.

I think using the numbers to apply perspective is fair – it outlines exactly the one-to-one direct impact illegal immigration has on our employment. It should help the reader come to the conclusion that we need to do something about this. I personally don’t think we should have a rash decision, or do any massive sweeping heart-attack moves like deportation. But we must start acting so that over 3-5-10 years, the effect is mitigated or eliminated.

I believe we should have a gradual replacement of the illegal to illegal job holders, and one of the best ways to do this is with e-verify – make all NEW hires be verified as legal, and aggressively prosecute employers who cheat. That’s about as far into amnesty as I can go – and it’s not amnesty, it’s more “from now on, we will have [X] practices” and those practices approach the ideal vs trying to immediately do society surgery to try and fix everything now.

Second to that, we need to loosen the restrictions on how to become a citizen, but no free ride for those who have violated our laws. I don’t care if it’s a fee, a work permit, a 3-5 year permit to get things in check, or have some 5-6 year plan to say “get your ducks in a row by 2015 because at that time, we’re gonna do sweeps.”

Regarding the bush-clinton-obama references, just because I use the word ‘Clinton’ doesn’t mean I’m using one President’s transgressions to hide, obfuscate or justify another’s. If I did what you’re saying, I shouldn’t have.

I don’t think the jobs would go to Americans. Illegals are hired because you don’t have to pay workmans comp or pay any attention to Osha or anything. These jobs wouldn’t exist if they were legal jobs. At least, that seems to be what I see around here. Illegals are hired for jobs that citizens wouldn’t do because citizens would have to have social security paid and income tax taken out and minimum wage and all that. Actually, removing these jobs any which way will hurt the economy but it should be done anyway. So, there’s my position. Make them legal jobs with legal persons working them. However you go about it, everybody will be pissed off.

marilyn´s last blog post..The Jannaburger

• whall says:

marilyn – I think with these specific numbers, there’s a much higher rate of “an American would do the job” than most people think. Sure, if you take the total numbers (13 million unemployed; 20 million illegals), there’s a lot of what you’re talking about, but in the 6m illegals vs 7m Americans numbers, these are specific jobs and Americans with high school or less. If we plan on “right-sizing” the illegally-held jobs by making them apply to minimum wage jobs and the employer paying taxes and enforcing withholding, then why not have an American fill the spot? And I’m talking about NEW jobs, not a sweep of existing jobs and yanking an illegal out and putting an American in.

I want a gradual but steady and sure fix.

And I want a pony.

You know, for the most part we actually agree on this.

marilyn´s last blog post..Manic Monday: Plant