April
2009
11:45 am

Facebooked?

Facepalm?

Facewhahhh?

I got on Facebook because there are a lot of less-tech-savvy folks in my life who I care about keeping in touch with.  I’m talking about people who really don’t “get” blogs, twitter, utterli, or instant messaging.  Or maybe they “get” them but they really don’t care to dive that deep into someone’s online persona, or that it’s too much work.

For many people, Facebook leaves most of that other stuff behind because it’s just plain easier.

The average Facebook user doesn’t need to know about RSS feeds, tweet streams, instant messaging clients or anything technical.  They just use a web browser and they’re in. They’re connected.  They have friends. Then they get an invitation to be in the Mafia.   Who could want more?

The only thing I use Facebook for at this time is to re-broadcast my tweets.   My tweets rebroadcast my thoughts, my blog entries and my utterz, the latter two being also thought rebroadcasts themselves.

In one big huge way, Facebook is better than twitter because of the concept I like to call threading.

Twitter can do quite a number on a conversation (in a bad way), and while there are tools to help figure out a thread, it’s not intuitive. Facebook, on the other hand, makes the conversation very intuitive, and very public.  So public that people who don’t even know each other can meet, in a way.

Oh yeah.  The OTHER main benefit Facebook has over twitter is the email notification of replies.  Twitter can email you for direct messages, but not replies.  That’s a biggie.

Facebook is also apparently very addictive.  I’d like to share with you a glimpse of all the things I DON’T do on Facebook (for those of you who have invited me or tagged me with things and don’t understand why I haven’t responded, this may explain it).  These are the outstanding requests I have on my Facebook page, sitting there waiting for me to act.

Look at that.

It’s no wonder Facebook is so addicting.  It makes everyone feel so… so… wanted.  So requested.  So invited.  So exclusive.  So rockstarish.

I still have 6 friend requests from people who I have no idea who they are.  And it’s not like they’re strangers – oh no.  I’m sure I know them, online.  But I don’t know their REAL name.

There are people out there that have their online names and lives (poohbearextremeLOL) completely lived separate from their real names (John Quincy Doe III).  Facebook doesn’t allow for pseudonyms, so someone I probably have known online for 3+ years can send me a friend request and I have no idea who they are.

Or (this is the kicker) – I know of them online, but I don’t actually know them.  What do I do about those?  I still haven’t figured it out.

Maybe you can now see why I blurred out names from that thread snapshot above.  Those people?  I don’t know if they want their real names displayed.  Some I know don’t mind.  Some I know DO mind.

I’m sure if I let myself, I could spend as much time on Facebook as I do eating, walking the dogs, playing with the kids, hygiene, and commuting combined.  I think a lot of people already do.

Someone hit me if I get that bad, k?

1. I totally get this – I had a friend and my brother in law become friends because they were both abusing me in a thread. They decided that they liked each other just from that.
    I’ve had a lot of friend requests from bloggers lately, I assume because of the “suggestions”. They recognize the avatar which I now make common to everything. It’s even suggested you to me a few times, but I’m WAY too lazy to bother…
    xo

Princess of the Universe´s last blog post..The Princess 201

• whall says:

Princess – Some of the suggestions are right on. I’m like “how come I didn’t connect with that person before? and why am i saying ‘like’ so much?” And with others, I have no idea at all who they are.

2. shiny says:

Hey! Look! There’s me with my name blurred out!

I think that a service called “twply” or something claimed to email you with notification of Twitter replies — but was seen as a username/password mining operation. Someone came up with a proof-of-concept procedure to have all @responses directly messaged to a twitter-user as well without needing username/password information. If I can find it, I’ll share it with you…

shiny´s last blog post..Over-the-Counter Intuitive

3. Jen says:

Um, everyone has the same issue with Facebook;)

• whall says:

Jen – evidently, a lot of people have a lot of time to waste. Maybe someday I’ll have a lot of time too and I can spend it online creating friendships, gathering trust, gabbing it up and then stealing a bunch of identities so I can retire in the Caymans.

4. Ben says:

Words, words, words …. Just accept my Mafia Wars invite, darn you! And I have no idea where you get off saying Facebook can be addictive.

Ben´s last blog post..Huh?

• whall says:

Ben – There’s a good solid reason I’ve never ever tried Heroine, World of Warcraft, Cocaine, expensive cigars or Mafia Wars. I have way too addictive a personality to get caught up in that stuff.

I only use it when people reply to a tweet or comment on a post or send me a message through there. I ignore all application requests and every other stupid thing. It’s obnoxious!

Avitable´s last blog post..Ode to my grandfather

I’m just a little newer than you on facebook and totally understand the addictive nature. The real name thing makes it feel more unsafe than the blog but the ability to only friend who you like makes it feel safer too. All those games give benefits to people who get their friends to play, which makes the constant inviting grow even larger. I could easily spend all day on facebook, except I have a living to earn and a kid to take care of. There have been days I’ve been inclined to quit FB for my own good. Your solution is much more mature.

I’m pretty sure I didn’t invite you to the mafia, but I would be thrilled for you to join. Do you think Ben would be my friend?

marilyn´s last blog post..Miscellaneous

My request page is huge and filled and I hardly ever even glance at it!
    I do all those stupid quizzes, though. They make me laugh!
    I really wish Twitter would notify you of replies, too.

Sybil Law´s last blog post..The One Where I Curse And Link A Lot

8. I ignore most of those dumb apps, but I did send you an invite to play Bejeweled Blitz. Oooh! So much fun. Oh, and like Sybil, I tend to like those quizzes too. Oh, and I almost forgot… Lexulous. No, I don’t think I have a problem at all. Do you? 😉

Geeky Tai-Tai´s last blog post..TequilaCon ‘09

9. bubblewench says:

I have a page over there but I so rarely ever get on. I never reply to the ‘requests’ either. Guess I just went right to blogging, twitter, etc w/o ever getting sucked into FB

If you get a request from Boobie McBreasterson, that’s my alter ego.

11. Dragon says:

I’m new to the twitterverse. I’m running there now to follow you. 🙂

Dragon´s last blog post..Apple and Pomegranate Tart

12. Faiqa says:

Hey, I’m famous!! Just thank God you haven’t been invited to Lil Green Patch. Just say no to saving the earth or you’ll be bombarded by fifty requests a day from people who don’t recycle and are trying to alleviate their guilt.
    Wow. I have very strong feelings about this. Who knew?

Faiqa´s last blog post..When I Was A Kid

• whall says:

Faiqa – so I can sell off my guilt? Do I use google checkout or set up an amazon store or what? I haven’t blogged in like 4 or 5 days and want to sell off the excess guilt.

I ignore almost every app on Facebook, except for the Pass A Drink ones. Those are fun.

Facebook for me is a way to connect with people I know. I virtual Rolodex of people I know, I’ve grown up with, I went to school with, Bloggers I read.

martymankins´s last blog post..My Hawaii Vacation – The Photos

• whall says:

martymankins – you know, I think I did pass a drink to someone once on their birthday. Next day I received a court summons. Who knew?

14. I ignore all of those requests but I’m pretty much addicted to all of those quizzes and Mafia Wars.

Yup – I’m obnoxious. Who’da thunk it?

Sheila (Charm School Reject)´s last blog post..Facebook Friday