(side note: those of you who follow me on twitter know that my wife underwent major knee reconstruction surgery on Friday, so my online presence and blogability has been hampered a bit while I help her out with her healing process.  As a result, I’ve reduced the housework she’s responsible for by about 7%.  I know. I’m a saint.  And I told her to just skip mowing this week. Sure, it might be harder on her knees next week, when the grass and weeds will be much higher due to the recent rains, but what’s important is that she heal safely)

Jaden adores Fred.

You’ve seen Fred, right?  He’s one of them thar “Internet Sensations.”  He’s also called “Youtube Fred.”  He’s kind of like Star Wars kid, but on purpose and not nearly as sad, once you know Fred Figglehorn is NOT really a 6yr old pumped on on drugs and pining for a fictional girl named Judy.  Or Wendy.  Who knows.

You either love Fred or hate him, kind of like Rush Limbaugh or Ben Stiller.  Wait, I take that back.  I like Ben Stiller in some things but hated him in others.  But wouldn’t it be neat if they married and had a kid and named it Rush Stiller?  Because that would be like an oxymoron – stand still while rushing?  Or Ben Limbs? Sounds like you’re flexing your muscles.  Heh, or Stillbaugh Benrusher.

Wait a second, where was I?

Oh yeah, Jaden, my 7yr old son.  He loves watching all the Fred episodes.  He watches many over and over, like the one about going to the dentist.  I’ve heard it said that Fred was the first to hit 1,000,000 fans on youtube.  Jaden just sits and watches and laughs and laughs and entices us to come over and watch the hilarity.  I guess if I’m going to introduce my son to the dangers of  medications, this is the way to do it.

So.

One morning Jaden told me he wrote a letter to Fred.  And sure enough, in MARKS-A-LOT, there it was – a big 8.5×11 sheet of paper holding Jaden’s letter to Fred:

click to embiggen

click to embiggen

In case you’re having trouble reading it, here it is transcribed:

Hi Fred, this is Jaden.  I am your biggest fan.  I like you.  You’re really funny, so I am going to watch your videos every day.  I like the part when you said “Oh My Gosh! I just peed inside the pool!”  So write back, Fred.  From: Jaden Wayne Hall

I told him we could mail it to Fred.  We got an envelope, folded it up, and found a stamp.  I taught Jaden how to self-address an envelope.  Then I told him I’d take it to work and mail it off.

However, try as I might, I couldn’t find a snail-mail address for him at any of his websites.  I didn’t want to let Jaden down, so I PDF’ed the letter and found an email address for Fred. I haven’t heard back yet, but I’m hoping there’s some kind of response for Jaden, even if it’s canned and cheesy, like cheeze whiz because, well, who doesn’t like Cheeze Whiz?

We also bought Jaden a Fred T-Shirt, which he wears as often as he can.  It’s his favorite shirt.

Who did you write a letter to as a kid?

1. Raganator says:

I wrote my first fan letter to Barabara Streisand after she played the bad@#@# boxing manager in Main Event. She was the bomb!

2. Hilly says:

Drop dead, Fred. 😉

Hilly´s last blog post..Paper Tigers Carrying Dead Birds…

3. Hilly says:

Oh God, that was awful…what if he really does because I was trying to be clever. Sorry Fred, don’t die. Just lose your internet connection for life, yo!

Hilly´s last blog post..Paper Tigers Carrying Dead Birds…

• whall says:

Hilly – heh, thanx for the clarification. DEATH TO PACKETS!

• brianna says:

hey don’t be talking to fred like that he’s way better than u and your older than him. You are not even famous and he is so drop it loser. Fred does not have to listen to you and he can do what ever he wants so you really need to stop. One day im going to write him a letter even before you can write him,bye loser

4. LeSombre says:

I think I went to school with this girl.

LeSombre´s last blog post..One bullet short of a full gun (18)

I follow you on Twitter but missed the surgery announcement. Hope the healing process goes well!

I wrote a letter to MAD magazine as a kid. I still have William M. Gaines’s obituary saved in my files.

Avitable´s last blog post..Hey little girl, want some candy?

• whall says:

Avitable – I’ll blog about it at some point. We’re just now coming up for air and tomorrow will mark a week from the surgery. It’s the greatest thing to happen to her knee since January 2008 (when the injury happened), but it’s a hard road to recovery. I ate up MAD magazine as a kid. I bought one last year at some point in a fit of nostalgia and was mostly disappointed.

6. Jen says:

Jaden’s letter is adorable! Many decades ago, I wrote a letter and drew a picture to send to Jimmy Carter. Soon after, I got to meet him in person with my grandparents.

• whall says:

Jen – wow, that’s cool! I would like to meet (and chat with, actually) any President of any time period, whether or not I’d agreed with his politics.

I am not sure I ever wrote a letter to anyone famous.
    But that Fred kid is real? He was on an episode of iCarly, and I thought he was horribly obnoxious – but a character!
    Yikes.
    Must. Not. Tell. Gilda. About. This.

Sybil Law´s last blog post..Birthday!

• whall says:

Sybil – yeah, I learned about Fred from Jaden before the iCarly episode, and then of course, it was a biiiiig deal because we all knew Fred when iCarly announced that he would be on.

8. Jenni says:

Ohh thats nice how he wrote a letter to Fred.
    You’d probably find his address if you used Lucas (his real name, but maybe u knew that) or one of his parents names (Molly and David Cruikshank) And dont you have to be 13 to be on youtube?

• whall says:

Jenni – I knew his name and saw his wiki page, but I hadn’t thought to check imdb or his parents. I think you have to be 13 in order to _have an account_ on youtube, but youtube doesn’t stop anyone from any age to view content. Ie, you can embed video anywhere and there’s no agreement required to view.

but I just looked it up, and the Terms of Service list:
      You affirm that you are either more than 18 years of age, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations, and warranties set forth in these Terms of Service, and to abide by and comply with these Terms of Service. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13, as the YouTube Website is not intended for children under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use the YouTube Website. There are lots of other great web sites for you. Talk to your parents about what sites are appropriate for you

• whall says:

I finally found his address! Jaden wrote a second letter to Fred and even took some pictures, printed them and taped them to the letter. Now I have both to send, and hopefully it’s the right address. Some things online says he lives in Columbus but other things say he’s moved to Omaha. Since the whole sensation is mostly under a year old, I’m hoping if he moved he has change of address forwarding 🙂

Thanx for the tip!

I wrote letters to the Care Bears and New Kids on the Block…your son is awesome and the letter is SO cute. Maybe it will get Jaden a shout-out on one of Fred’s videos!

• whall says:

Robin – now that would be TOO much to believe in. But that would be awesome!

• brianna says:

thats so nice what u said maybe you should send a letter to him to and maybe ask for his phone number. im probally gonna send him a letter to just like jaden but i dont write like that i write way better than that. well i gotta go bye peace out

10. I wrote a letter to my first grade teacher, whom I just adored. Unfortunately what I wrote was that Lisa (me) should stay in from recess as she wasn’t feeling well and I signed my mother’s name. Oops! What can I say – the winters in North Dakota were darn cold and I was ever the delicate flower 😉 My mom still has that letter.

floating princess´s last blog post..And the Masengill Goes To…

11. Faiqa says:

I’ve been neglecting Twitter of late, so I didn;t hear about the surgery. Hope she has an good recovery.

So, I sent my first fan letter to Ronald Reagan. Honest to God’s truth. And I wasn’t complaining either.

Clearly, I had a strange childhood.

Faiqa´s last blog post..A Clarification is Worth A Thousand Words… Or More

• whall says:

Faiqa – Reagan was an awesome dude. Sure, he was a President, but he was just an awesome dude all around. I wish I would have sent him a letter.

12. missy says:

take Jenni’s advice and look up Lucas Cruikshank at IMDB or his parents address. I know for a FACT that Lucas (aka Fred) will send your little Jaden an autographed pic back!

13. I don’t remember writing to a person, but at least twice when I was young I wrote to book publishers to ask how if I could purchase through them some book I wanted (we lived in the middle of nowhere and I survived on the library; no bookstores anywhere near) – and got a copy of the book in reply!

Gurukarm (@karma_musings)´s last blog post..Darfuri Women: Nowhere to Turn

14. Sarcastica says:

I…don’t even remember who I wrote a letter too as a kid. Sharon Louis and Bram probably.

Sarcastica´s last blog post..I COULD write a totally epic post…

• whall says:

Sarcastica – wow, I’ve never even heard of those folks. After looking at their wiki page, I seem to recall something about “skinnamarink”. And then I see they were on nickelodeon, which I watched a LOT of as a kid, but somehow these guys eluded me.

15. I can’t find my earphones and I really want to hear what all the fuss is about Fred! (husband’s sleeping next to me so I can’t play it). ADORABLE letter from Jayden. You should frame it to remind him of his first fan letter when he’s older. 🙂

BlondeBlogger´s last blog post..I Always Feel Like Somebody’s Watching Me

16. Oh and best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery! I’m so sorry she had to go through that. You’re probably letting her make t.v. dinners instead of having to cook, too, good husband that you are. 😉

BlondeBlogger´s last blog post..I Always Feel Like Somebody’s Watching Me

• whall says:

BB – many thanks for the best wishes. We’re progressing along; tommorrow marks the 2 week anniversary of the surgery. I kind of wish I had a medical journal blog because I’d love to write about it.

17. Andrew says:

I sent a letter to Adam Sandler, when i was like 9 or so. Give or take a year. I actually typed it on my first computer and printed it. It said how i loved all of id movies and i listed them all out, including television (SNL). I recieved a letter back from somewhere in California, enclosed was a picture of Adam Sandler bending down and hugging a small goat. It was signed, and the signature was smeared. I don’t know if it was a stamp or actually him, but i still have that picture at 23 years old and it made my childhood that much better!!! —–Andrew ;]

18. Shae Sorrow says:

i wrote to bread paisley about songs my dad wrote when he was a musician now my dad is a famous author of a great book called The Little Coat

19. brianna says:

your son jaden is so lucky that he can write fred. Can you tell me his adress so i can send him a letter to ? Your son’s hand writing is so adorable and tell jaden i said hey

20. brianna says:

fred is like so funny and cute. i watch his videos everyday like jaden. i love all of his videos and i never get tired of them. i watch them day and night and i take my lap top to school so i can watch them in class. my teacher does not care if i do or not she’s a really good teacher. well i’ll see ya later peace out. and please if your reading this right now reply to me and i will read it!

Comment: