June
2009
5:30 pm

Remember way back when?  Back when I was wondering if I should upgrade to the iPhone?

I’ve made my decision:

iphone
click to embiggify

WOOHOO!

I wanted to share some of the details that led to my decision to choose an upgrade to the iPhone 3GS over continuing with my Blackberry 8700C.  That will probably be tomorrow’s post, so I’ll start with these details:

Detail Area #1: The fine print

The subject of the message says “Your iPhone reservation.”  The first paragraph of the email starts with “Thanks for reserving your iPhone” and even says I can “come to the store [I] selected anytime on the day of my reservation.”

Upon reading these constant reminders of my reservation, I was filled with a fulfilling sense of fulfillment.  This confirmation of my reservation was there in front of me, in black and white!  I completed my reservation at apple.com (Detail Area #2), tied it to one of the eligible phones on my AT&T contract (Detail Area #3), and got this email a few seconds afterwards.  Nice process.  Clean procedure.  Great result.

I. Am. Reserved.

I even reserved some time with my wife (who I’m taking care of at home while she heals from knee surgery) to make sure I can be gone for a few hours Friday morning and that she’ll be ok without me.

I know. Saintly.

However, down at the bottom of the email, in small print (and light grey on dark grey instead of black and white), it says:

Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis.

Say whaaah?

The pedantic side of me is noticing that it mentions “pre-authorization”, not “reservation,” so that makes me think “oh well, that disclaimer isn’t for me.”  But it still bothers me a little.

My Apple store opens at 10am, so I plan on getting there early just to be certain I’m seen and I score.

apple store

Detail Area #2: Reserving my phone

Right when I decided to go iPhone, a friend I was IM’ing with at the time told me he heard that pre-orders had sold out.

GAH!

Some quick googling confirmed that there was a June 12th cutoff that meant anyone ordering after that date would just get their phone shipped approximately “whenever” and it might be weeks before I got the phone.

Thank goodness I found an article online that dispelled the rumor, explained the June 12th mumbo-jumbo and told me how to increase my chances of pre-ordering.  I called AT&T and the person couldn’t help me (that took 45 minutes btw).  I went to wireless.att.com and they were having problems with the website.  Once I did get online, I couldn’t tie the iPhone to MY number, but I could upgrade one of the other lines on my family plan.  It bothered me to try to do this online, so I skipped that method.

So, I was able to go to the Apple Store online and reserve my phone.  Score one for the whallster.

Detail Area #3: Tying the iPhone to my cell

It took a long call w/AT&T to confirm this, but it did get confirmed.  I have four (4) lines on my AT&T family plan.  Two (2) of them are eligible for upgrades and two (2) aren’t.

att family plan

Of course, MY line is one of the ones listed as not eligible, but AT&T allows you to use upgrades for one line and apply it to another.  They just can’t do it online.  So I actually tied the upgrade to my wife’s line and then I’ll have to call AT&T to swap them in their system once I have the iPhone in hand.

However, this probably means some weird service experiences are in my future on Friday when they try to do all this for me while they’re handling Black iFriday for everyone else in the US getting the new phone.  And if service sucks on Friday for AT&T customers, it might as well suck on an iPhone instead of a Blackberry.

My next post will detail some of the deciding factors for choosing the iPhone.

I’m thinking of just making a graphic that says “It’s better” but since when do I use brevity?

Well… um. Okay then. Good luck with that.

I am not an iPhone OR a Blackberry user. My phone is for talking, dangit! 😛
    (I realize this makes me a freak in the blogging world but… whatever!)
    .-= Sybil Law´s last blog ..I Am The Suckiest Suck That Ever Sucked… =-.

Cool! You included the store’s address and phone number!
    Now I can call them and convince them to play a dirty trick when you walk into the store at 9:59am.

Employee: “Good Morning, sir; may I help you?”

Wayne: “Hi-mynameisWayneHallI’m-here-to pickupmy-iPhone-pleasedon’ttellmeyou’re outofthem….” (*pant-pant-pant*)

Employee: (*discreetly checks photo to confirm that this is indeed the person he’s been waiting for*) “Ahhhh, yes. We have exactly one iPhone left, and it’s all yours.”

Wayne: (*deep breath*) “Ohhh, thank god. I was worried.”

Employee: “There, there, Mr. Hall. We just have some obligatory paperwork for you to fill out, and then as soon as you do the pole dance and striptease, you can take your iPhone and be on your way.”

Wayne: “Great! I… wait, what? Dance… strip…?”

Employee: “Of course! It’s in the microfine print we placed in disappearing ink at the bottom of your contract. All you have to do is a ten minute pole dance and striptease, then sign a permission slip granting us unlimited rights to publish the resulting videos on YouTube. You might also have to wear Avitable’s halloween costume from last year, but that’s only if the price of gas goes above $200.00 a barrel. So, are you ready?”
    .-= Janna´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

• whall says:

Janna – actually, I brought my own camera and plan on doing the same thing anyway. Maybe I can be as popular as the Star Wars Kid! We could release the greenscreen version so people can add their own special effects and graphics!

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Next thing you know, Wayne will be installing Macs at work and voting for Obama to have a second term!

Why don’t youjust admit that you picked iPhone so you could use my Ask Dave! app?
    .-= Dave2´s last blog ..Nasty =-.

• whall says:

Dave2 – you know as well as I do that Obama’s 2nd term won’t be voted in, it will be mandated by the new Civilian Defense Force he campaigned for in his acceptance speech.

Don’t believe me? Just Ask Dave!

5. NYCWD says:

You have been assimilated.

Welcome to the iCult.
    .-= NYCWD´s last blog ..The Epitome Of The Lazy Blogger =-.

• whall says:

Dawg – I heard that Apple will start enforcing a mandatory 4-letter maximum for iPhone App names. When that goes into effect, the chances of an App called iAssimilate will not be good.

6. kapgar says:

Cool. Congrats on your choice. You’ll have to tell me how you think it compares.
    .-= kapgar´s last blog ..Come on let’s take the long cut… =-.

Welcome to the club! You’ll like it here. We’re all happy. We all float down here.
    .-= Avitable´s last blog ..Avitable’s rules for life =-.

8. Faiqa says:

Step 1 in converting Wayne Hall to a bleeding heart liberal borderline commie? Check.

I wish I was cool enough to have an iphone.
    .-= Robin´s last blog ..Four Year Bloggaversary =-.

• whall says:

Robin – yeah, Apple isn’t the most equal Opportunity company around. You have to be green, rich and pompous. I only have the pompous part down.

Let’s see… switching from BB to iPhone. Having a MacBook Pro to use at your disposal… is there something you are not telling us, like being a Windows guy during the day but being an Apple guy in your personal life?
    .-= martymankins´s last blog ..Scooter Sunday – Season 2 Ep. 07 =-.

• whall says:

Martymankins – nah, I’m just open-minded. Scary, isn’t it? But I always try to go for the best app/os for the job, whther it be windows, unix, mac, etc. I really try hard to be manufacturer-agnostic.

Janna will post a link to the you tube video?

• whall says:

Marilyn – the release that I ended up signing said that there will be a button on the front page of all iPhones that plays an embedded video of my dance.

12. Miss Britt says:

Your membership into our club has been reserved.

Congratulations.
    .-= Miss Britt´s last blog ..The Wedding Incident =-.

13. Penelope says:

iPhone allllll the way baybeeeeeee!!!

Congrats, convert. 🙂 Better than other vert words.

Or other con words.