June
2009
5:30 pm

As promised, here is a more detailed description of my journey into the choice of getting the iPhone 3GS over keeping my older Blackberry 8700C.

Summary: It’s a better phone + PDA + music + social media tool + web browser + gadget.

Details are in the extended entry.

I’m just kidding.  There are no more details.  iRock.  iPeriod.

Now I better get me my phone tomorrow.  Despite Apple’s emails assuring me of my reservation, I have reservations about it.

iphone reservation
Click to embiggify

Here’s what I see in this email:

• Subject says “A reminder about your June 19 reservation”.
    This makes me feel like I have a special place in Apple’s heart.  They even showed me a picture of their silver-grey heart (conveniently shaped like an apple), as if a piece of it were removed out of the right side, and I’m the piece that’s missing.  Cue the “aww” track.
  • They look forward to seeing me tomorrow.
    They expect me.  They want me.  They love me.  And don’t think I missed that they put this loving directive where?  RIGHT ON THE SAME LINE AS THE APPLE.
  • First paragraph says “Just a reminder that you can purchase your reserved iPhone anytime tomorrow”
    Whoa.  First they say “reservation” and now they confirm it again with the word “reserved”.  And they even labeled the iPhone as mine.  MINE.  Do you understand what that means?  It means it’s mine!
  • Fine Print #1: “Your reservation is valid until close of business on Friday, June 19, 2009.
    Third time’s the charm, right?  They referred to my “reservation” again!

However.

(Remember Harry Potter?  Remember Professor Snape and how awesome Alan Rickman was playing him? Easily my favorite character from the 5 movies.  He’s the one I hired to come in and say “however” just now.)

snape

So, again I say.  Turn your books to page three hundred and ninety-four.  Where I say “However” and incredibly unique and engaging way.

At pool Wednesday night, Ren expressed slight doubt at my ability to actually PROCURE an iPhone on Friday.  Needless to say, this freaked me out a bit (more like, upset me) and in this email, sure enough, were two more sentences that didn’t make my lunch sit properly, what with all the butterflies that recently migrated there.

• Reservation does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
    GAH!  A few days ago, they said “Pre-authorization does not guarantee…” but now they’re using my special term!  They’re using “reservation” and putting all sorts of limitations on it, like it’s not, well, A RESERVATION.

Is there some other dictionary I’m unaware of, where “reservation” means nothing but “haha sucker, you’re just like the other people without a reservation”?

We’ll see tomorrow.

1. Rachel says:

I have faith that you will get your phone. I also figure you will sleep there tonite to be first on line to get it so they don’t run out.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Twilight comes to TV and it’s even worse then the movie =-.

• whall says:

Rachel – I’m actually already in line for tomorrow morning’s 10am opening time. There are 30 geeks in front of me, some dressed up as Jobs. There’s this one guy dressed up as Chewbacca, but he’s only here training some of the other guys who aren’t so used to standing in long overnight lines.

Waiting in line would be cooler if I had an iPhone.

2. Sarah says:

Snape!

Sorry, what was this post about?
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Saturday. =-.

3. *giggle* You mentioned Alan Rickman as Snape…he’s my favorite too!

mmmm…Professor Snape in all his yummy, hawt, black-billowing-robe goodness….*has dirty daydreams*

Oops! This is a PG blog…

oh, oh, uh…yeah Hi…good luck getting your iPhone today!
    .-= Cissa Fireheart´s last blog ..You’ll hang with the right cohorts, you’ll be good at sports! Know the slang you’ve got to knooow… =-.

So we either need spooky – ish music
    Dum da dum dum…
    Or drumrolls
    (which I totally can’t replicate)
    !
    .-= Sybil Law´s last blog ..I Am The Suckiest Suck That Ever Sucked… =-.

You already tweeted this, but the stores opened at 7am.

Hoping you get your iPhone today. Cool that you are getting the 32gb model.
    .-= martymankins´s last blog ..Random Leakage #11 =-.

I think reservation means we plan on saving your phone for you but if something goes catastrophically wrong we can’t guarantee it will be there so you can’t sue us.

But I think you got it already and I think you trweetered from it and so I think you’re all proud and happy and everything. So you’re Friday has gone pretty well. And that’s good.

7. dmarks says:

Whall said: “some dressed up as Jobs. There’s this one guy dressed up as Chewbacca, ”
    Are you sure that the Chewie wasn’t supposed to be Steve Wozniak instead?

I hate when I get in a hurry and use the wrong “your”….

I came by to wish you a very happy Father’s day. You are a great dad.

Comment: