My daughter Caitlin starts 10th grade next month (OMG!).  She’s Drill Instructor as well as Flute/Piccolo Extraodinaire in the Vandegrift High School Band.  I’ve written about her Band accomplishments in the past, and you just can’t get much prouder than I am of her and what she does with her spare time.

Why am I telling you all this?  To get money for her band, of course!

You see, Caitlin and her fellow band members are doing a March-a-thon, a 4-hour long marching concert throughout one of the neighborhoods.

The March-a-thon is the band’s biggest and primary fundraiser for the year.  Anyone who donates to this will get something special from me.  I’m going to be completely subjective and possibly weird when I select something for each of you, so don’t miss out!  You might get an impromptu song, you might get a guest post, you might get a CD in the mail, a book, a thank you note… who knows?

So if you can, click the donate button above and donate something.  (note: if you go to the March-a-thon website and donate from there, be sure to mention “Caitlin H” in the “special instructions” so she gets credit.)

This is Vandegrift High School‘s first year of existence – it’s brand-spanking new and will only house 9th and 10th graders for this coming year.  A number of the freshmen that went to Cedar Park High School were re-zoned for the new Vandegrift school.  Because it’s only 9th and 10th graders, it’s a significantly smaller band.

The school board chose to name the school after Lt. Matthew Ryan Vandegrift,
a Leander High School honors graduate (Class of 1999) and athlete – who was killed in Iraq in April 2008.  They also chose a mascot of “Vipers” which was put up to vote to the students, faculty and school board.

Isn’t that cool?  It’s got a snake head to make the “V”.  I guess “vipers” is better than “Vandegrifters.”   Or Vandal Grifters. Or Van Wilder Grifters.

What I find most interesting about the new school is that as a 10th grader, Caitlin will be a “senior” three years in a row.  She and a few of her fellow sophomores hold leadership positions in the band, and they essentially run the band.  I can’t believe how much they have the students be responsible for.  It’s so cool that they’ll be able to hone their leadership skills for three years, instead of what usually happens, which is having Juniors and Seniors fill the leadership roles.

A few of the leaders were up at the school at 5:15 this morning painting the parking lot with dots and lines.  They knew it was going to be a looooong assignment, and with the heat the way it is, they wanted to get an early start.  Talk about dedication.  The teamwork and friendships they’re forming is to be heralded, and I feel so glad she’s able to be a part of it.

What are you waiting for?!?!?!  Go get in line to get something totally whallsome, and donate

UPDATE: There’s no time limit for the donation, but by August 15th would be preferable, since that’s when the Marchathon is. However, students can collect pledges towards the Marchathon throughout the school year.

1. Sarah says:

Gah, she’s so cute!

I’ll see if I can’t find some money somewhere to donate.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..I really hope I’m adopted. =-.

How long can we donate?! I’m on my way to the pool, and then a party. Can I do it later this week?!
    .-= Sybil Law´s last blog ..Live =-.

• whall says:

Sybil Law – I just realized I did NOT put the date of the Marchathon in my post (it is at the link I posted, however). GAH! how could I forget!???!?!

The Marchathon is Saturday, August 15th, so you have plenty of time, and THANX.

You know, you don’t need to offer anything in return. Donating has its own rewards.
    .-= Avitable´s last blog ..Contest: Lazy Sunday is BACK! =-.

I can’t donate money… but if they wanted one of my quick-hem banners, I would give them one. Two-foot tall by however long they wanted it (up to ten feet), with logo and whatever text they wanted. These don’t have pole pockets but I can put as many grommets along the top (and sides and bottom) as they might need. I’m short on grommets at the moment so It would take me a couple of weeks to deliver.

I offer this to you because you’ve been very generous with your time to both me and other bloggers. I don’t even give these away to my own church anymore.
    .-= marilyn´s last blog ..Forest Service Guys =-.

Being a drill instructor is huge, you should be proud =)
    .-= Robin´s last blog ..Top 5 Documentaries =-.

What Adam said. I will go donate now.
    .-= Poppy´s last blog ..Gentlemen! … well, yah, start your engines. =-.

7. Miss Britt says:

I’m confused. She’ll STAY in this school for 11th and 12th grade? Even though it’s just for 9th and 10th graders?
    .-= Miss Britt´s last blog ..And Jesus Would Say: Never Unfollow Someone Just Because They Unfollowed You =-.

• whall says:

Britt – They (the first class of Vandegrift High School, made up of 9th and 10th graders) will be in the Middle School campus just for the first year. The actual High School isn’t done being built. Next year, theyll move everyone to the High School and then the Middle School will get its first batch of 6-8th graders.

But it is weird for the High Schoolers to be in a Middle School. Several of them went to Canyon Ridge Middle School, which is built from the same blueprint. So Caitlin, for example, went to CRMS in 6-8 grades, then Cedar Park High School (an “actual” High School) and then now to Four Points Middle School, built to the same plans as CRMS. They all feel so… middle schooley.

8. Miss Britt says:

cuuuRAP. I just donated and realized that this post is almost a week old.

Is it too late?

Did I just buy someone lunch on accident?

• whall says:

Britt – no worries! The Marchathon is 8/15, so you did it in plenty of time! In fact, the students can collect pledges for their marching throughout the school year, so there’s no deadline at all.

Comment: