Pessimists suck.

I was thinking today how… if I wanted to, if I *really* wanted to, I could be unhappy.

I thought – if I concentrated hard enough, I could find a ton of things to be upset about.  Things to complain about.  Things to ruin my day or my week.  Things that could ruin my life if I let them.

Have you heard of gratitude journals?  I believe Oprah is a fan of them.  You’re supposed to write down the things every day that you’re thankful for.  I’ve never tried it myself, but have heard the wonders it does for people who are depressed or unhappy.

Since I’m so happy all the time, I wonder what would happen if I decided to start a complaint journal.  You know, for balance.

I could dwell on the fact that I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life.  Two hundred and seventy-five pounds of blogging muscle.

I could lament that I’m not at #avitaween this weekend like all the cool bloggers.

There are personal issues that could seriously weigh on me if I let them.  I don’t disclose them on the blog.

I owe a lot. In many ways to many people, and not just financial.

My feet itch.

There’s more politics to rile me up than ever before in my life, and it feels like the entire news media, the government, the blogging world, and most of my friends are against me and my principles.

I went without internet at our new house for a full week. Also, AT&T’s 3G coverage at our new house is horrible compared to our old house.

I forgot to set FastForward to record for my wife.  Now we’re weeks behind.

We still don’t have jet packs.

There are at least 3 jobs in my past that had I taken them when offered, I’d be a millionaire now.  I have 2 jobs in my past that I took a year too late and missed out on a million dollars.

My car’s muffler / tail pipe scrapes the bottom of our new driveway because of the incline.

I have health concerns.

I’ve had to spend > $1000 on our two cars for maintenance, and I have at least another $1500 that needs to be spent, but we can’t right now.  $320 of it was for a leaking gas tank, and they just had to replace one little rubber grommet, but it costs that much anyway.

I still don’t have the game room TV cable hooked up, and we’ve been in our new house a week.

A road I drive every day will be moving from 2 lanes to 1 lane for 19 months while the government spends unneeded TARP stimulus money to pay workers to rebuild a bridge that doesn’t need rebuilding.

Speaking of driving every day, I used to work from home.  A LOT.  Now I have to go into work with 0% teleworking.  That means an additional $100-200/mo on gas expense.

I took a new job where I’m not the man in charge any more.  No clout, no history, no old-timer’s advantage.

That’s a lot of stuff, and I’m just disclosing or hinting at things that I’m comfortable saying on my blog.  If you know me and my blogging style, then you know there’s a lot more reality behind the scenes.

These were complaints off the top of my head.  Yet, I can easily come up with ten times as many things to be thankful for.  And it’s easy for me.

In fact, it’s usually all I think about.  I keep being amazed at how lucky I am in life.  Everywhere I turn, I’m impressed with something.  There’s always something to make me smile.

Why don’t others have an easy time with it? Is it just perspective?

Despite all those things I listed above, I’m having one of the best days of my life today.

Here’s one of the reasons.  I found this on Iron Fist’s blog and I love it.

I’m so easy.

Ahhh yes. We’ve all been there… it’s just a matter of trusting in President Obama that everything will work out. Believe in the power of The One and embrace a better tomorrow!

I don’t know… optimists can be kind of annoying too.
    .-= marilyn´s last blog ..Vampire in the house =-.

Thoughts:
    1. Although I am not a fan of Oprah, I can see how the “gratitude journal” thing might prove beneficial for some people. Don’t tell Oprah I said that.
    2. We might not have real jet packs, but we do have imaginary ones. They’re better anyway, because the fuel is a lot cheaper.
    3. Always remember to be grateful that tacos were invented.
    4. I have a lot of personal problems and health issues I don’t mention on my blog either, so I completely understand your need to keep some things hidden from cyberspace.
    5. You went without the Internet for a whole WEEK? And you lived? Wow. I would be a nervous wreck.
    6. I hate one-lane roads almost as much as I hate football. And basketball. And baseball. And golf. And….
    7. You can also smile by knowing that the Internet would not be quite the same without you. 🙂
    .-= Janna´s last blog ..Further additions to the Jannapedia =-.

4. LeSombre says:

Dude, I sooooooo hear you.
    That video is awesome. Did you know you can download that version for free from their website? I listen to it all the time.
    I guess that makes me easy too. 😉
    .-= LeSombre´s last blog ..Orlando day 3: Blues Travelers =-.

5. Iron Fist says:

You should know that when Dave2 talks about “believing in the power of The One” he is referring to The One Yes Totebag.

6. Raganator says:

And don’t forget you had a helluva comeback in 9-ball this week. when it comes to pool, you rock!
    Plus my week’s always better with your smile!

What’s easy for one person isn’t easy for another. The last 24 hours I’ve been scraping the bottom of the barrel and despite having a lot of wonderful things in my life I can’t seem to grasp them. Sometimes or maybe just some people get pulled down and they don’t know why.
    .-= Robin´s last blog ..Boston Facts =-.

8. sue says:

I find I complain more than I should… then I step back from time to time and remember that in the big picture I really have nothing to complain about. *sigh*
    Good post. Hope it all works out.

9. Faiqa says:

WHALL WHALL Ima letya finish, but *Faiqa* has the best positive outlook evah… 🙂

I believe very strongly in the power of not complaining. People talk a lot about how we need to let your feelings out, but I think we should be careful about timing… and forums. I think if you’re upset with someone or about something, you should either do something to fix it or let it go. And in any case, move on. Not that I don’t respect bloggers that use their blogs as personal journals, I do very much so. I’m just not one of those kinds of bloggers (most of the time).
    .-= Faiqa´s last blog ..Life Is Good =-.

Complaining about things is a big waste of time, IMO. There’s times when I need to vent. Venting is not complaining. Venting usually has a point to it. Venting, you are looking for answers from others, unlike complaining, where you are looking for solace and sympathy from others.

I drink your glass of lemonade.
    .-= martymankins´s last blog ..A Quick One While I’m Away =-.

11. Thank you for the Pamplamoose link! I am hooked! I am eternally grateful.
    .-= Not Afraid To Use It´s last blog ..Desperately Seeking A Remake =-.

Comment: