About the author.

Welcome to The blog of whall

Come on in and stay a while… laugh a little. Maybe even think. Read more...

Hi, This is Wayne. This is my site, my stuff, my blog, blahblahblah. The site itself is powered by WordPress and the Scary Little theme. I thought it was cool, and I still do.

microwave-oven

But sometimes they don’t. 

Although, there may be one lurking, if we extend “ondas” to be “Hondas”.  I can just imagine tiny little Hondas on shore leave.  Little horno de microondas.  bwahahaha.

In other news, I believe I found out what was causing the extreme delay in my Windows 7 Easy Transfer problem from my last post.  I watched and watched and thinked and thunked.  I pondered.  I perused.  I fell asleep, then woke up and thought some more.

Then I decided to look at the external hard drive where my user profile was stored.  Since Windows didn’t give me any specific details during the transfer, I went ahead and canceled it and saw that it had copied some of the profile but not all of it.  The external hard drive supports USB2 and firewire, and because firewire is faster, I initially chose it for the supposed speed increase.

firewire cable

To help figure out if I had a performance issue, I set up a standard file copy from the laptop to the external drive.  When I actually checked the file transfer speeds of this external firewire drive (which you CAN see when you expand “Details”), I saw that it was getting less than 1MB/sec transfer rate.

I had mentioned that the profile itself was more than 140 GB.  GIH. GUH. BITES.  A gigabyte is a thousand megabytes, btw.  In my world, anyway.

Let’s do the math on that, shall we?

Actually, let’s not.  Math is hard.  Let’s just say it would take a LOOOOONG time at that speed.  So I connected up the USB cable, did the same copy and was able to get between 11-25MB/sec transfer rates.  Ahhh.  The sounds of packets flowing across the wires.

A bit of googling showed that other people on Vista and Windows 7 64-bit had similar firewire problems due to drivers and what-not.  So I’m sure it’ll get resolved eventually with an updated driver, but for now I can stick with USB2 and get’r done.  The laptop also has an eSATA port (which is even faster), but the data isn’t on an eSATA-capable drive at the moment. 

There was one other problem I found on the computer, but I fixed it fairly quickly:


Admin
tsk tsk

Ajax CommentLuv Enabled 336ad6ab990e8080f1c0ad1f892428a0