Today I sent a support ticket to TechSmith, the makers of the incredibly awesome SnagIt tool.

snagit

I’ve been a user of this product for … shoot, probably 8 years now?  Love it.  LOVE it.  However, some time back, they changed this one little minor piece of functionality in the product and it aggravates me so.  SOOO much.  It’s like I can’t let go.

I’m hoping my sense of humor helps them consider putting the feature back in.

At some point in the last year or so, one of the “upgrades” brought with it the incredibly annoying behavior of completely ignoring the ESCAPE key in Snagit Editor.

Here’s one of my extremely typical tasks, done a dozen times a day:

• PrintScreen (or CTRL-PrintScreen or ALT-PrintScreen, depending on which profile I want)
  • I review the screenshot, possibly edit it, tweak it with arrows or highlights (nothing I want to save)
  • Press CTRL-A, CTRL-C to put it in my clipboard (sometimes I just want a section of the modified screenshot)
  • Press Escape to dismiss the Snagit Editor
  • Cuss up a storm because Snagit removed this wonderful feature
  • Go and find my mouse, manage to drag the cursor all the way over to the [x] on the screen so I can close the screen, and lament the time I just wasted
  • Switch to my other application (which varies), press CTRL-V and admire my handiwork.

Please either make this an option in preference or just bring the dad-gum feature back.

Why do you sometimes REMOVE features?

What do you think? Over the top?

I don’t really see the Lolcats in this one.
    .-= marilyn´s last blog ..Five on Friday: The Fourth =-.

Does Ctrl-Shift-X do the trick? I realize that it isn’t as convenient as ESC, but it may save your sanity if you aren’t already trying to learn it. Also, it looks like you might be able to customize this key, though I’m neither sure this is really the function you need nor confident that it will allow you to use ESC. Good luck!

BeerHer!!
    .-= Ren´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday Diptych #16: Abundance =-.

• whall says:

Ren – I appreciate you reading the documentation when I could not*. I tried it, and it appears to close the entire Snagit program, not just the Snagit Editor. In fact, it restarts Snagit and keeps the editor up… Snagit runs in the background and keeps an icon in the systray, watching for the hotkeys and whatnot. CTRL-SHIFT-X killed it and resurrected it.

*would not

I think it’s perfect!
    .-= Sybil Law´s last blog ..Deserving =-.

Lots of people here in the office use Snag-It. We have to keep an older version around because some upgraded to the newer version and complained of feature changes.
    .-= martymankins´s last blog ..Snowy Sunday #23 =-.

• whall says:

martymankins – really? I thought I was the only complainer. If you happen to know, what feature changes did others complain about?

I will use my premonitious abilities and throw out – Office Ribbon, increase in number of mouse clicks it takes to resize an image, and lack of batch edit from windows explorer…

Comment: